
Shelagh Fogarty 1pm - 4pm
30 March 2025, 08:10
Myanmar's military junta is continuing to wage a years-long civil war despite an earthquake that has killed over 1,600 people so far.
Independent Myanmar media have reported that the military regime continued air attacks on resistance-held areas even in the wake of the earthquake.
Seven people were killed in an air strike in the north of the country just three hours after the earthquake.
A United Nations representative said the strikes were "completely unacceptable" and said that "anyone who has influence on the military needs to step up the pressure" to stop its bombing.
The civil war has been going for four years and has left over 17 million people in need of humanitarian aid.
The government in exile - the National Unity Government (NUG) - said on Saturday that it would pause its attacks on the military regime for two weeks.
There is precedent for major disasters to play a part in helping to restore peace to areas torn by conflict, most notably in Indonesia's Aceh province after it was devastated by the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.
However, there is little precedent for this in Myanmar, where military government's have kept up repression even in the wake of destructive cyclones.
Some 1,644 people are known to have died in Friday's earthquake, which rocked Myanmar and large swathes of south-east Asia, with 3,408 injured and 139 missing.
The number of victims from the earthquake, which hit near Myanmar's second-largest city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon local time, is likely to rise further as rescue work continues.
The shockwaves from the 7.7. quake were felt in Thailand - where a skyscraper collapsed in capital city Bangkok - as well as China, India and Vietnam. Ten people are known to have died in Thailand, with many more injured and missing.
A second, less strong earthquake hit a few minutes later.
The British government announced an aid package of up to £10 million on Saturday night.
Several international aid organisations are working in Myanmar after the earthquake, but the civil war is making their efforts harder, along with damage to key infrastructure and transport routes.
The United Nations has said an acute lack of medical supplies is making relief efforts much more difficult.
Building in Thailand shakes as earthquake hits Myanmar
Myanmar's shadow National Unity Government (NUG), which co-ordinates the popular struggle against the ruling military, announced on Saturday night a unilateral partial ceasefire to facilitate earthquake relief efforts.
An announcement said its armed wing, the People's Defence Force, will implement a two-week pause in offensive military operations starting on Sunday in earthquake-affected areas.
It said it would "collaborate with the UN and non-governmental organisations to ensure security, transportation, and the establishment of temporary rescue and medical camps," in the areas it controls.
"We call on all ethnic groups and citizens to actively co-operate with the NUG and revolutionary forces in providing comprehensive emergency rescue and relief assistance to the earthquake victims," the statement said.
The plan poses a sharp political challenge to the military, which has heavily restricted much needed aid efforts to the more than three million people displaced by war even before the earthquake.
Sympathisers of the resistance have urged that relief efforts incorporate aid freely transported to areas under the control of the National Unity Government.
The US Geological Society (USGS), which first recorded the 7.7 quake, estimated deaths at between 10,000 and 100,000 on Friday.
Scot in Bangkok says ‘blood rushed to his head’ as earthquake struck
Economic damage was pegged at as much as 70% of Myanmar's GDP - which would mean about $36 billion.
The earthquake struck at midday on Friday with an epicentre not far from Mandalay, Myanmar's second biggest city, sending buildings in many areas toppling to the ground and causing widespread damage.
Satellite photos from Planet Labs PBC show the earthquake toppled the air traffic control tower at Myanmar's Naypyitaw International Airport.
The photos taken on Saturday show the tower toppled over as if sheered from its base.
The earthquake also shook neighbouring Thailand, killing six people and injuring 26 at three construction sites, including one where a partially built high-rise collapsed in Bangkok.
Another 47 people were still missing, authorities said on Saturday.
Bangkok governor Chadchart Sittipunt said more people were believed to be alive in the wreckage as search efforts continued on Saturday morning.