Tanzania’s president says second term will be his last in office

1 November 2020, 13:14

President John Magufuli (AP)
Tanzania Election. Picture: PA

John Magufuli’s pledge followed a sweeping election victory which had given him the chance to alter the constitution to permit additional terms.

Tanzania’s populist President John Magufuli has accepted the official certification of his victory in the East African country’s election last week.

Mr Magufuli, 61, was declared the winner with 12.5 million votes, or 84% of votes cast, and is to be sworn into his second term in a ceremony on Thursday.

Mr Magufuli said that he will not seek another term in office, which is significant because his ruling party, Chama Cha Mapinduzi, has won nearly every seat in parliament, giving it the power to change the country’s constitution to allow Mr Magufuli to run for additional terms.

Some party officials have already spoken publicly about taking measures to allow Mr Magufuli to extend his time in power beyond two five-year terms.

This is my second and last term in office

President John Magufuli

“During the election there were a few challenges but generally the election was safe and peaceful,” said Mr Magufuli in a statement on Sunday.

“This is my second and last term in office.”

In his first five-year term, Mr Magufuli has been criticised for reducing democratic freedoms in Tanzania, one of Africa’s most populous countries with 60 million people.

Mr Magufuli’s acceptance comes a day after Tanzania’s two main opposition parties called for a re-run of last week’s election, alleging widespread fraud and urging people into the streets for an “endless peaceful demonstration” starting on Monday.

Police warned that stern measures would be taken against anyone who tries to take to the streets.

The joint statement on Saturday by the Chadema and ACT Wazalendo parties came hours after Mr Magufuli was declared the winner.

“What happened on October 28 was not an election but a butchering of democracy,” Chadema chairman Freeman Mbowe told reporters, asserting that more than 20 people were killed during the vote.

“We demand the election repeated with immediate effect and the dissolving of the national electoral commission.”

Ruling party Chama Cha Mapinduzi party supporters celebrate (Stringer/AP)
Ruling party Chama Cha Mapinduzi party supporters celebrate (Stringer/AP)

He added: “We announce an endless peaceful demonstration beginning Monday until our demands are implemented.”

The opposition has alleged widespread irregularities before and during the vote in the East African nation that some observers say has taken a sharp turn away from democratic ideals in the past five years.

Allegations include the rejection of thousands of election observers, a massive slowdown in internet and text-messaging services and ballot box stuffing.

Police have acknowledged scores of arrests around the election but no killings.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Friends of Prince Andrew say he's "unsurprised" Giuffre made the post

Prince Andrew 'not surprised' his accuser shared shock post saying she had 'four days to live'

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families