Letter shows Duke of Edinburgh apologised over failing to toast Richard Nixon

16 April 2021, 08:24

The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh and Richard Nixon
Politics – President Richard Nixon UK Visit – London. Picture: PA

The newly-unearthed handwritten note to the US leader in 1969 shows the duke ‘woke up in a cold sweat’ when he realised he failed to follow protocol.

A newly-unearthed handwritten note has revealed that a faux pas by the Duke of Edinburgh at a White House dinner with former US president Richard Nixon in 1969 caused Philip to lose sleep.

In a handwritten note to the president uncovered by archivists at the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum in Yorba Linda, California, Philip wrote to “humbly apologise” for failing to toast the president’s health, as dictated by protocol during a “stag” dinner in his honour.

Writing from Greenland on November 7 of that year after his solo trip to the US had concluded, the duke wrote: “After the brilliance of the other speakers and yourself, I am afraid my contribution was very lame.”

He added: “That night I woke up in a cold sweat when I realised I had forgotten to propose your health!”

Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon (PA)

Philip died last week aged 99, with his funeral due to take place on Saturday. He was married to the Queen for 73 years.

Jim Byron, executive vice president of the Nixon Foundation, said: “I think the letter itself shows the character of Prince Philip that so much of the public in the UK and across the Commonwealth, and really across the world, have come to admire.”

He said the letter was discovered before the coronavirus pandemic but made public this week, as a way of marking Philip’s death.

“It expresses some private feelings of a moment in time that the public really doesn’t always get a chance to see,” Mr Byron added.

During White House dinners, honoured guests usually offer a toast to the president’s health and success. Philip wrote to Mr Nixon that he could not “begin to tell you how much I appreciated your very great kindness and hospitality at the White House. I was quite overwhelmed by the guests but delighted to meet such a distinguished company.”

The duke mentioned travelling to New York, where he was interviewed by Barbara Walters for NBC’s Today show.

The Queen and Richard Nixon
The Queen with Richard Nixon at Chequers (PA)

“The weather in New York was horrible but otherwise all went well,” Philip wrote, “and I found Miss Walters particularly charming and intelligent. I hope we did a good piece.”

The long guest list for the dinner was all-male. It included vice president Spiro Agnew, most of the members of Nixon’s cabinet and non-governmental notables such as business magnate Ross Perot and British-born comedian Bob Hope.

Mr Byron said Mr Nixon almost certainly replied to Philip’s letter, but, with the library archives remaining closed because of the pandemic, what he might have said is unknown.

What Philip said in his remarks – other than omitting wishing Mr Nixon good health – is unknown for the same reason.

The dinner came a day after Mr Nixon delivered his famous “silent majority” speech in which he implored a US national audience to unite behind the continuing war in Vietnam until his administration could achieve “peace with honour”.

Richard Nixon visit to the UK
The Queen, then-prime minister Edward Heath and US president Richard Nixon and his wife Pat (PA)

Mr Byron said top aide, HR Haldeman, who later went to prison for his involvement in the Watergate scandal, noted in his diary how absolutely joyful the president was that night, given that his address had been positively received.

Mr Nixon, who died aged 81 in 1994, was a bit older than Philip, but the two had known each other for years by then.

As vice president, Mr Nixon and his wife met the Queen and Philip in London.

The Nixons gave the royal couple a tour of Washington’s sites when they made a state visit to the US in 1959.

“Philip, by all measures, he was being kind,” Mr Byron said of the letter. “And really expressing so much of his character.”

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Video footage shows the convoy had emergency lights flashing when it was hit

Israel admits ‘mistakenly’ killing 15 aid workers after video leak contradicted official version of events

Jaguar Land Rover has paused shipments to the US in the wake of 'Liberation Day' tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover halts shipments to US in wake of tariffs as Trump insists he'll win 'economic revolution'

Flowers and toys left on a swing seat to commemorate victims killed in Russia's missile attack on Friday

Death toll from Russian strike on Zelenskyy's home town rises as 18 confirmed dead - including nine children

Donald Trump's 10% tariff on UK products has officially come into force

Trump tariffs come into force as global stock markets plunge deeper into the red

Tom Howard

British tourist killed after being struck by boulder on trek through Himalayas

In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Emergency Service, a car burns following a Russian missile attack that killed more than a dozen people, including children, in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, Friday, April 4, 2025. (Ukrainian Emergency Service via AP)

Russia kills 16 people including three children in missile strike on Zelenskyy's home town, with dozens wounded

Travel influencer Mykhailo Viktorovych Polyakov, 24, made an illegal visit to North Sentinel Island

Tourist who left Coke for world's most isolated tribe 'could have wiped them all out' - and police 'can't go collect can'

White House weighs in to support ‘censored’ anti-abortion activists in Britain

White House looking to support ‘censored’ anti-abortion activists in Britain

This image provided by NASA shows Nick Hague, right, Suni Williams, and Butch Wilmore. (NASA via AP)

Stranded NASA astronauts reveal they were almost trapped in space 'forever' after horror malfunction

Donald Trump demands France 'free Marine Le Pen'

Donald Trump demands France 'free Marine Le Pen' after far-right leader found guilty of embezzlement in 'witch hunt'

China will impose a 34% retaliatory tariff on imports from the US

China announces additional 34% tariffs on US imports in retaliation over Trump's 'Liberation Day' levies

Friends of Prince Andrew say he's "unsurprised" Giuffre made the post

Prince Andrew 'not surprised' his accuser shared shock post saying she had 'four days to live'

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’