Woman accusing Vince McMahon of sexual abuse asks WWE to waive NDAs

8 October 2024, 12:04

WWE co-founder Vince McMahon
Vince McMahon WWE Chairman speaks at a news conference that announced a partnership of Hip Hop Summitt Action Network and World. Picture: PA

A lawyer for Janel Grant has requested the move so other former and current workers can potentially come forward with similar accusations.

A former WWE employee who filed a lawsuit against the company and co-founded Vince McMahon, accusing him of sexual battery and trafficking, is asking them to not enforce non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) with other former and current workers and contractors so they can potentially come forward with similar accusations.

A lawyer for Janel Grant emailed a letter making the request to representatives of WWE, Mr McMahon and John Laurinaitis, a former WWE executive and wrestler, late on Monday.

Mr McMahon’s spokesman, Curtis Vogel, declined to comment, and lawyers for WWE and Mr Laurinaitis did not immediately respond to emails. Emails to the WWE and its parent companies, Endeavor Group Holdings and its subsidiary, TKO Group Holdings, also went unanswered.

Mr McMahon, former chief executive and chairman of WWE, has denied Ms Grant’s allegations.

Ms Grant, who worked in WWE’s legal and talent departments from 2019 to 2022, sued the company, Mr McMahon and Mr Laurinaitis in January, making graphic allegations of sexual assault, harassment, trafficking and other physical and emotional abuse.

Mr McMahon stepped down as WWE’s chief executive in 2022 amid a company investigation into allegations that match those in Ms Grant’s lawsuit. He also resigned as executive chairman of the board of directors of TKO Group Holdings in January, a day after the lawsuit was filed.

If WWE and its parent company, Endeavor, are serious about parting ways with Vince McMahon and the toxic workplace culture he created, their executives should have no problem with releasing former WWE employees from their NDAs

Ann Callis, lawyer for Janel Grant

Ms Grant’s lawyer, Ann Callis, said in a statement: “If WWE and its parent company, Endeavor, are serious about parting ways with Vince McMahon and the toxic workplace culture he created, their executives should have no problem with releasing former WWE employees from their NDAs.

“This is the first step to rehabilitating a company that covered up decades of sexual assault and human trafficking.”

Mr McMahon previously responded to Ms Grant’s lawsuit with a statement saying it is “replete with lies, obscene made-up instances that never occurred, and is a vindictive distortion of the truth. I intend to vigorously defend myself against these baseless accusations, and look forward to clearing my name.”

His lawyers said in court documents that he had a consensual relationship with Ms Grant and never mistreated her.

Mr Laurinaitis’s lawyer has denied the allegations, and said he is also a victim in the case.

Ms Grant says she was pressured into leaving her job with the WWE and signing a 3 million US dollar (£2.3 million) non-disclosure agreement.

The lawsuit also seeks to have the agreement declared invalid, saying Mr McMahon breached the deal by giving her 1 million dollars (£763,565) and failing to pay the rest.

Four other women – all formerly affiliated to WWE – signed agreements with Mr McMahon that bar them from discussing their relationships with him, the Wall Street Journal reported in July 2022, citing people familiar with the deals and documents it reviewed.

Ms Grant’s representatives say was not among those women.

In December 2022, Mr McMahon agreed to pay a female former wrestling referee millions of dollars to settle her allegations that he raped her in 1986, the Journal also reported.

Mr McMahon said the alleged sexual assault never happened, and his lawyer said he settled the suit to avoid costly litigation.

Ms Grant’s request for WWE to waive enforcement of the NDAs is similar to ones made to other companies when sexual misconduct allegations arose.

Harvey Weinstein allegations
In 2018 the Weinstein Co released employees and former members of staff from NDAs in connection with sexual misconduct claims against movie mogul Harvey Weinstein (Anthony Devlin/PA)

In 2018 and 2019, respectively, the Weinstein Co and NBC Universal released employees, former members of staff and others from NDAs made in connection with sexual misconduct claims against movie mogul Harvey Weinstein and Today host Matt Lauer.

Victims’ lawyers say NDAs are instruments to silence accusers while allowing alleged abusers to avoid accountability.

A federal law approved in 2022 and similar laws in more than a dozen states curb the use of NDAs that block victims of sexual harassment from speaking publicly about their allegations.

The Associated Press does not normally name people who make sexual assault allegations unless they come forward publicly, which Ms Grant did.

She alleges Mr McMahon forced her into a sexual relationship with him in order for her to get and keep a job, and later directed her to have sexual relations with others including Mr Laurinaitis.

She also accuses the two men of sexually assaulting her at WWE headquarters in Stamford, Connecticut.

The lawsuit further claims Mr McMahon recruited other people for sexual relations with Ms Grant, shared pornographic photos and videos of her with other men including WWE employees despite saying he would not, and subjected her to cruel and humiliating acts.

Mr McMahon bought what was then the World Wrestling Federation in 1982 and transformed it from a regional wrestling company into a worldwide phenomenon. As well as running the company with his wife, Linda, he also performed at WWE events as himself.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'

Virginia Giuffre warned it was a "very bad situation" after she claimed a school bus ploughed into her car

Virginia Giuffre was charged with breaching restraining order days before crash that 'left her with days to live'