One sexual assault count dismissed in Harvey Weinstein case

29 July 2021, 21:34

Harvey Weinstein wears a face mask as he listens in court during a pre-trial hearing in Los Angeles
Sexual Misconduct Weinstein. Picture: PA

Judge Lisa B Lench agreed that a count alleging sexual battery by restraint in May 2010 was too old, and outside the statute of limitations.

A Los Angeles judge has dismissed one of 11 sexual assault counts against Harvey Weinstein, giving the former film mogul and convicted rapist a minor and possibly temporary victory.

At a hearing with the 69-year-old in the courtroom, Judge Lisa B Lench agreed with his defence lawyers that a count alleging sexual battery by restraint in May 2010 was too old, and outside the statute of limitations.

But she gave the prosecution permission to refile the charge in a way that may be allowable, setting up an ongoing fight.

Weinstein pleaded not guilty to four counts of rape and seven other sexual assault counts last week in his first court appearance in the California case.

Harvey Weinstein wears a face mask as he listens in court during a pre-trial hearing in Los Angeles
Harvey Weinstein wears a face mask as he listens in court during a pre-trial hearing in Los Angeles (Etienne Laurent/Pool Photo via AP)

He was extradited from New York, where he is serving a 23-year sentence for convictions of rape and sexual assault.

In Los Angeles, Weinstein was first charged with the now-dismissed count in January 2020, before the statute of limitations had expired.

Prosecutors then got an indictment from a grand jury on an identical count six months later, when the time had lapsed.

Weinstein’s lawyers successfully argued at Thursday’s hearing that the grand jury indictment counted as a new case, making the charge “fatally flawed”.

“No-one forced the prosecution to go to the grand jury,” Weinstein lawyer Alan Jackson said in court.

“They chose to enter a new case.”

Prosecutors argued that it was a continuation of the same case and should be considered what is often called a superseding indictment.

Other charges against Weinstein are for even older incidents, but different statutes apply to them.

Harvey Weinstein, left, sits with his lawyers Mark Werksman, centre, and Alan Jackson during a pre-trial hearing in Los Angeles
Harvey Weinstein, left, sits with his lawyers Mark Werksman, centre, and Alan Jackson (Etienne Laurent/Pool Photo via AP)

Outside court, the defence touted the ruling as a significant victory, pointing out that it removes one of the five women involved in the 11 counts.

“Twenty percent of the district attorneys case has just been thrown out,” Weinstein lawyer Mark Werksman said.

None of the women have been identified.

The judge sided with the prosecution on two other counts that she refused to dismiss, rejecting defence arguments those incidents were also too old.

No trial date has been set for Weinstein.

More technical fights are likely to come before it begins as his lawyers seek to erode the case against him.

They have said the charges are all baseless, old and uncorroborated.

Weinstein was brought into court in a wheelchair wearing brown county jail attire.

Harvey Weinstein behind a protective screen as he listens in court during a pre-trial hearing in Los Angeles
Harvey Weinstein behind a protective screen as he listens in court (Etienne Laurent/Pool Photo via AP)

A bailiff unshackled him from the chair and put him next to his lawyers.

The lawyers argued that Weinstein should be allowed to change into a suit for this and similar proceedings, a move that is standard for a jury trial but less common for pre-trial hearings.

Mr Werksman called the jail clothes a “mark of Cain” that branded his client a criminal in photos and video from the courtroom.

The judge rejected the argument, suggesting the attire was not so bad.

“Mr Weinstein is wearing a brown top,” Judge Lench said.

“You know it’s jail attire, but I’m not sure everybody knows it’s jail attire.”

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'

Virginia Giuffre warned it was a "very bad situation" after she claimed a school bus ploughed into her car

Virginia Giuffre was charged with breaching restraining order days before crash that 'left her with days to live'