Macron says he will not force through voting reform in troubled New Caledonia

23 May 2024, 15:24

New Caledonia
New Caledonia. Picture: PA

The French president called for a minute’s silence for the six people killed in shootings during the violence in the archipelago.

French President Emmanuel Macron said on a visit to riot-hit New Caledonia on Thursday that he will not force through a contested voting reform that has sparked deadly unrest in the French Pacific territory.

He said he wants to leave time for local leaders to come up with an alternate agreement for the archipelago’s future.

Speaking after a day of meetings with leaders on both sides of New Caledonia’s bitter divide between indigenous Kanaks who want independence and pro-Paris leaders who do not, Mr Macron laid out a roadmap that he said could lead to another referendum on the archipelago.

Three earlier referendums between 2018 and 2021 produced “no” votes against independence.

French president Emmanuel Macron arriving in to Noumea n La Tontouta International airport in New Caledonia
French president Emmanuel Macron arrived at Noumea La Tontouta International airport in New Caledonia (Ludovic Marin/Pool Photo via AP)

He said another referendum could be on a new political deal for the archipelago that he hopes local leaders will agree on in coming weeks after protesters’ barricades are dismantled, allowing for a state of emergency to be lifted and for peace to return.

“I have pledged that this reform won’t be pushed through with force today in the current context and that we are giving ourselves a few weeks to allow for calm, the resumption of dialogue, with a view to a global agreement,” he said.

Mr Macron has pushed for the removal of protesters’ barricades during his visit said police sent in to help battle deadly unrest in the French Pacific archipelago “will stay as long as necessary”.

His comments came even as security services back in France were focusing in coming weeks on safeguarding the Paris Olympics.

By cancelling his previously announced schedule to fly across the globe from Paris to New Caledonia, Mr Macron brought the weight of his office to bear on the crisis, which has left six dead and a trail of destruction.

Pro-independence Kanak leaders, who a week earlier declined Mr Macron’s offer of talks by video, joined a meeting the French leader hosted in the capital, Noumea, with rival pro-Paris leaders who want New Caledonia, which became French in 1853 under Emperor Napoleon III, to remain part of France.

Mr Macron first called for a minute’s silence for the six people killed in shootings during the violence, including two gendarmes. He then urged local leaders to use their clout to help restore order.

Mr Macron with France’s minister for interior and overseas Gerald Darmanin, left, during a meeting with New Caledonia’s elected officials at the French High Commissioner's residence in Noumea
Mr Macron with France’s minister for interior and overseas Gerald Darmanin, left, during his visit (Ludovic Marin/Pool Photo via AP)

He said a state of emergency imposed by Paris for at least 12 days on May 15 to boost police powers could only be lifted if local leaders called for a clearing away of barricades that demonstrators and people trying to protect their neighbourhoods had erected in Noumea and beyond.

“Everyone has a responsibility to really call for the lifting of the barricades, the cessation of all forms of attack, not simply for calm,” he said.

Barricades made of charred vehicles and other debris had turned some parts of Noumea into no-go zones and made travelling around perilous, including for the sick requiring medical treatment and for families concerned about where to find food and water after shops were pillaged and torched.

French authorities said more than 280 people had been arrested since violence first flared on May 13 as the French legislature in Paris debated contested changes to New Caledonia voter lists.

The unrest continued to simmer as Mr Macron jetted in, despite a 6pm to 6am curfew and more than 1,000 reinforcements for the archipelago’s police and gendarmes, now 3,000 strong.

“I will be very clear here. These forces will remain as long as necessary. Even during the Olympic Games and Paralympics,” which open in Paris on July 26, Mr Macron said.

Mr Macron, second right, spoke with New Caledonia’s president Louis Mapou, second left
Mr Macron, second right, and New Caledonia’s president Louis Mapou, second left, during the visit (Ludovic Marin/Pool Photo via AP)

Mr Macron said on arrival at Noumea’s La Tontouta International Airport – which remains closed to commercial flights – that he wanted “to be alongside the people and see a return to peace, calm and security as soon as possible”.

Later, at Noumea’s central police station, Mr Macron thanked officers for facing what he described as “an absolutely unprecedented insurrection movement”.

“No-one saw it coming with this level of organisation and violence,” he said. “You did your duty. And I thank you.”

The violence is the severest in New Caledonia since the 1980s, the last time France imposed a state of emergency on the archipelago of 270,000 people and decades of tensions over the issue of independence between Kanaks and the descendants of colonists and other settlers.

The French president speaking to a policeman at the central police station in Noumea
The French president thanked officers for facing what he described as ‘an absolutely unprecedented insurrection movement’ (Ludovic Marin/Pool Photo via AP)

Fires, looting and other violence targeting hundreds of businesses, homes, shops, public buildings and other sites in and around Noumea have caused destruction estimated in the hundreds of millions of euros.

This week, military flights evacuated stranded tourists.

“We will discuss questions of economic reconstruction, support and rapid response, and the most delicate political questions, as we talk about the future of New Caledonia,” Mr Macron said.

“By the end of the day, decisions will be taken and announcements will be made.”

A road block in central Noumea
Barricades have turned some parts of Noumea into no-go zones (Ludovic Marin/Pool Photo via AP)

Mr Macron flew to the archipelago under pressure from politicians in France and pro-independence supporters to delay or scrap the overhaul of the voting system for New Caledonia which triggered the unrest.

Both French houses of parliament in Paris have approved the proposed reform but it would require a revision of France’s constitution to take effect.

It would enlarge voter numbers in provincial elections for New Caledonia’s legislature and government, adding about 25,000 voters, including people who have been residents of the archipelago for at least 10 years and others born there.

People demonstrating as Mr Macron’s motorcade drove past in Noumea
People demonstrated as Mr Macron’s motorcade drove past in Noumea (Ludovic Marin/Pool Photo via AP)

Opponents fear the measure will benefit pro-France politicians in New Caledonia and further marginalise the Kanaks, who once suffered from strict segregation policies and widespread discrimination.

Supporters say the proposed overhaul is democratically important for people with roots in New Caledonia who cannot currently vote for local representatives.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Video footage shows the convoy had emergency lights flashing when it was hit

Israel admits ‘mistakenly’ killing 15 aid workers after video leak contradicted official version of events

Jaguar Land Rover has paused shipments to the US in the wake of 'Liberation Day' tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover halts shipments to US in wake of tariffs as Trump insists he'll win 'economic revolution'

Flowers and toys left on a swing seat to commemorate victims killed in Russia's missile attack on Friday

Death toll from Russian strike on Zelenskyy's home town rises as 18 confirmed dead - including nine children

Donald Trump's 10% tariff on UK products has officially come into force

Trump tariffs come into force as global stock markets plunge deeper into the red

Tom Howard

British tourist killed after being struck by boulder on trek through Himalayas

In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Emergency Service, a car burns following a Russian missile attack that killed more than a dozen people, including children, in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, Friday, April 4, 2025. (Ukrainian Emergency Service via AP)

Russia kills 16 people including three children in missile strike on Zelenskyy's home town, with dozens wounded

Travel influencer Mykhailo Viktorovych Polyakov, 24, made an illegal visit to North Sentinel Island

Tourist who left Coke for world's most isolated tribe 'could have wiped them all out' - and police 'can't go collect can'

White House weighs in to support ‘censored’ anti-abortion activists in Britain

White House looking to support ‘censored’ anti-abortion activists in Britain

This image provided by NASA shows Nick Hague, right, Suni Williams, and Butch Wilmore. (NASA via AP)

Stranded NASA astronauts reveal they were almost trapped in space 'forever' after horror malfunction

Donald Trump demands France 'free Marine Le Pen'

Donald Trump demands France 'free Marine Le Pen' after far-right leader found guilty of embezzlement in 'witch hunt'

China will impose a 34% retaliatory tariff on imports from the US

China announces additional 34% tariffs on US imports in retaliation over Trump's 'Liberation Day' levies

Friends of Prince Andrew say he's "unsurprised" Giuffre made the post

Prince Andrew 'not surprised' his accuser shared shock post saying she had 'four days to live'

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’