Weinstein challenges extradition to face California charges

12 April 2021, 21:24

Harvey Weinstein allegations
Harvey Weinstein allegations. Picture: PA

Weinstein maintains his innocence and contends that any sexual activity was consensual.

A lawyer for convicted movie producer Harvey Weinstein has challenged his extradition to California to face charges of assaulting five women, citing a paperwork technicality after his requests for a “humanitarian” delay to attend to medical needs were rejected.

Weinstein, 69, appeared via video before Erie County Court Judge Kenneth Case from the maximum security Wende Correctional Facility near Buffalo, where he has been imprisoned since last spring after being convicted in New York City of a criminal sex act and third-degree rape.

He is charged in California with assaulting five women in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills from 2004 to 2013.

Weinstein Sexual Misconduct
Harvey Weinstein appears from prison during his virtual extradition hearing (New York Unified Court System via AP)

Defence attorney Norman Effman argued that because the California charges that were initially included in a criminal complaint have been formalised in a newly revealed indictment, the initial transfer request is incomplete.

Judge Kenneth Case granted his request for a hearing, which he scheduled for April 30.

Weinstein maintains his innocence and contends that any sexual activity was consensual.

“We’re not trying to avoid what is going to happen in California. We believe there is not only a defense to these charges but a very good defense to these charges,” Mr Effman said.

“We believe that it will result in an acquittal once this trial commences and concludes in California.”

“But the reality is Mr Weinstein is serving a 23-year term at a maximum security facility in New York state,” he said. “We know he’s not going anywhere.”

Erie County Assistant District Attorney Colleen Curtin Gable took issue with Mr Effman’s suggestion that there is no hurry.

“As far as what’s humanitarian to all people involved, including the victims in this case, the time is of the essence,” she said.

Weinstein did not speak during the hearing as he sat at a table with his hands folded in front of him, but appeared to be in good spirits as he chatted with his attorney before the proceeding got under way.

Mr Effman said he wanted to delay the extradition so that Weinstein could undergo two scheduled medical procedures, an eye surgery and a dental procedure, but that California prosecutors denied his requests.

“He is almost technically blind at this point and in need of surgery,” the lawyer said.

No details have been revealed on the new California indictment, and Los Angeles prosecutors declined comment, saying they do not comment on grand jury matters.

Mr Effman said the indictment is similar, though not identical, to the initial complaint.

The Hollywood producer’s lawyers have appealed his 2020 conviction, arguing in court papers last week that Manhattan Judge James Burke swayed the trial’s outcome with repeated rulings favourable to prosecutors and that the 23-year prison sentence Burke imposed was “unduly harsh and excessive”.

A jury found Weinstein guilty of raping an aspiring actress in a New York City hotel room in 2013 and sexually assaulting a production assistant at his apartment in 2006.

He was acquitted of first-degree rape and two counts of predatory sexual assault stemming from actor Annabella Sciorra’s allegations of a mid-1990s rape.

The extradition hearing had been delayed since August because of the pandemic.

Weinstein survived a bout with the coronavirus in March at the prison. His lawyers said he experienced symptoms of Covid-19 again in mid-November but did not test positive for the disease at that time.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'