Coronavirus: Italy outlines plans to ease lockdown measures

27 April 2020, 11:26

Italy has been under strict lockdown measures to control the spread of coronavirus
Italy has been under strict lockdown measures to control the spread of coronavirus. Picture: PA

By Maddie Goodfellow

Italy's prime minister has outlined plans to ease the country's coronavirus lockdown restrictions seven weeks after they were first imposed.

Giuseppe Conte said in a televised address to the nation that coronavirus measures would be relaxed from 4 May.

He explained that people will be able to visit relatives in small numbers, having previously being banned from doing so.

Parks, building sites and factories will also be opened.

However, schools will remain closed until September.

Follow our coronavirus liveblog

Italy still has Europe's highest total death toll, at 26,644, however on Sunday the country recorded its lowest number of daily deaths since March, just 260.

Other European countries, including Switzerland and Spain, have also announced they are relaxing their measures.

Giuseppe Conte made a televised announcement
Giuseppe Conte made a televised announcement. Picture: PA

Mr Conte told the country that it would begin "Phase Two" of lifting its coronavirus lockdown from next month.

The full list of measures measures include:

- People can move around their own regions, but cannot move between different regions

- Bars and restaurants will reopen for takeaway service from 4 May

- Dine-in service will resume from 1 June, and hairdressers, beauty salons and bars will also open

- Retail shops will reopen on 18 May along with museums and libraries

- People can do sports not only in the vicinity of their homes but in wider areas

- Sports teams will also be able to hold group training from 18 May

- Funerals can resume with a maximum of 15 people attending

Lombardy has been the worst affected region
Lombardy has been the worst affected region. Picture: PA

Listen & subscribe: Global Player | Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify

Italy had the bad luck of being the first Western country to be slammed by the outbreak, and its total of 26,000 fatalities lags behind only the US in the global death toll.

Italy's first homegrown case was recorded on February 21, at a time when the World Health Organisation was still insisting the virus was "containable" and not nearly as infectious as the flu.

But there is also evidence that demographics and health care deficiencies combined with political and business interests to expose Lombardy's 10 million people in ways unseen anywhere else, particularly the most vulnerable in nursing homes.

Virologists and epidemiologists say what went wrong there will be studied for years, given how the outbreak overwhelmed a medical system considered one of Europe's best.

In neighbouring Veneto, the impact was significantly more controlled.

Prosecutors are deciding whether to lay any criminal blame for the hundreds of dead in nursing homes, many of whom are not even counted in Lombardy's official death toll of 13,269.

By contrast, Lombardy's frontline doctors and nurses are being hailed as heroes for risking their lives to treat the sick under extraordinary levels of stress, exhaustion, isolation and fear.

Even after Italy registered its first homegrown case, doctors did not understand the unusual way Covid-19 could present itself, with some patients experiencing a rapid decline in their ability to breathe.

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Jaguar Land Rover has paused shipments to the US in the wake of 'Liberation Day' tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover halts shipments to US in wake of tariffs as Trump insists he'll win 'economic revolution'

Flowers and toys left on a swing seat to commemorate victims killed in Russia's missile attack on Friday

Death toll from Russian strike on Zelenskyy's home town rises as 18 confirmed dead - including nine children

Donald Trump's 10% tariff on UK products has officially come into force

Trump tariffs come into force as global stock markets plunge deeper into the red

Tom Howard

British tourist killed after being struck by boulder on trek through Himalayas

In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Emergency Service, a car burns following a Russian missile attack that killed more than a dozen people, including children, in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, Friday, April 4, 2025. (Ukrainian Emergency Service via AP)

Russia kills 16 people including three children in missile strike on Zelenskyy's home town, with dozens wounded

Travel influencer Mykhailo Viktorovych Polyakov, 24, made an illegal visit to North Sentinel Island

Tourist who left Coke for world's most isolated tribe 'could have wiped them all out' - and police 'can't go collect can'

White House weighs in to support ‘censored’ anti-abortion activists in Britain

White House looking to support ‘censored’ anti-abortion activists in Britain

This image provided by NASA shows Nick Hague, right, Suni Williams, and Butch Wilmore. (NASA via AP)

Stranded NASA astronauts reveal they were almost trapped in space 'forever' after horror malfunction

Donald Trump demands France 'free Marine Le Pen'

Donald Trump demands France 'free Marine Le Pen' after far-right leader found guilty of embezzlement in 'witch hunt'

China will impose a 34% retaliatory tariff on imports from the US

China announces additional 34% tariffs on US imports in retaliation over Trump's 'Liberation Day' levies

Friends of Prince Andrew say he's "unsurprised" Giuffre made the post

Prince Andrew 'not surprised' his accuser shared shock post saying she had 'four days to live'

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing