Rudy Giuliani appears at contempt hearing over election case judgment

3 January 2025, 23:54

Rudy Giuliani speaking to the media
Giuliani Election Misinformation. Picture: PA

Judge Lewis J Liman indicated he would not rule immediately on whether Mr Giuliani will face civil sanctions for failing to turn over some assets.

Rudy Giuliani gave evidence on Friday at a contempt hearing to decide whether he has dodged and deceived lawyers trying to recover a 148 million-dollar (£119 million) judgment for two Georgia election workers, lamenting the speedy deadline imposed on him to turn over information about his assets.

The former New York City mayor testified in Manhattan federal court that the two-week timeframe he was given to respond to the requests “was very short”, in comparison to how long he was given to provide information in 15 to 20 other court cases he is involved in.

Judge Lewis J Liman indicated he would not rule immediately on whether Mr Giuliani will face civil sanctions for failing to turn over some assets.

Mr Giuliani asked on Thursday if he could appear remotely at the hearing, but he changed his mind after the judge said his options at the proceeding would be limited if he did not appear in person.

Rudy Giuliani
Rudy Giuliani speaking to the media outside court in New York (Adam Gray/AP)

The lawyers claim Mr Giuliani has displayed a “consistent pattern of wilful defiance” of Judge Liman’s October order to give up assets, after he was found liable in 2023 for defaming the poll workers by falsely accusing them of tampering with ballots during the 2020 presidential election.

They said in court papers earlier this week that he has turned over a Mercedes-Benz and his New York apartment, but not the paperwork necessary to monetise the assets.

And they said he has failed to surrender valuable watches and sports memorabilia, including a signed Joe DiMaggio shirt, and not “a single dollar from his non-exempt cash accounts”.

Judge Liman said in an order last week that Mr Giuliani’s lawyer should be ready to explain why Mr Giuliani should not be held in contempt with resulting sanctions that could make it less likely that he gets to keep his Florida residence.

A trial over the disposition of the Palm Beach apartment and World Series rings is scheduled for mid-January.

Mr Giuliani has maintained that the Palm Beach property is his personal residence now and should be shielded from the judgment.

Mr Giuliani’s lawyers have predicted that he will eventually win custody of the items on appeal.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'

Virginia Giuffre warned it was a "very bad situation" after she claimed a school bus ploughed into her car

Virginia Giuffre was charged with breaching restraining order days before crash that 'left her with days to live'