Driver behind New Orleans terrorist attack ‘acted alone’

2 January 2025, 20:04

Military personnel walk down Bourbon street
New Orleans Car Into Crowd. Picture: PA

Shamsud-Din Jabbar was solely responsible for the attack and professed allegiance to the so-called Islamic State, the FBI said.

The US Army veteran who drove a pick-up truck into a crowd of New Year’s Eve revellers in New Orleans acted alone, the FBI said.

The agency reversed its position from a day earlier that the attacker likely worked with others in the deadly attack that officials said was inspired by the so-called Islamic State group.

The FBI also revealed that the driver, Shamsud-Din Jabbar, a US citizen from Texas, posted five videos on his Facebook account in the hours before the attack in which he proclaimed his support for the militant group and previewed the violence that he would soon unleash in the city’s famed French Quarter district.

“This was an act of terrorism. It was premeditated and an evil act,” said Christopher Raia, the deputy assistant director of the FBI’s counter-terrorism division, calling Jabbar “100% inspired” by the Islamic State.

The attack killed 14 revellers, along with Jabbar, who was fatally shot in a firefight with police after steering his speeding truck around a barricade and ploughing into the crowd.

It was the deadliest IS-inspired assault on US soil in years, laying bare what federal officials have warned is a resurgent international terrorism threat.

That threat is emerging as the FBI and other agencies brace for dramatic leadership upheaval after President-elect Donald Trump’s administration takes office.

Seeking to assuage concerns about any broader plots, Mr Raia stressed that there was no indication of a connection between the New Orleans attack and a Tesla Cybertruck explosion on Wednesday outside Mr Trump’s Las Vegas hotel.

The FBI continued to hunt for clues but said that 24 hours into its investigation it was now confident that 42-year-old Jabbar was not aided by anyone else in the attack, which killed an 18-year-old aspiring nurse, a father of two and a former Princeton University football star, among others.

New Orleans Car Into Crowd
Emergency services at the scene after a vehicle drove into a crowd in New Orleans (Gerald Herbert/AP)

Officials have reviewed surveillance video showing people standing near an improvised explosive device that Jabbar placed in a cooler along the city’s Bourbon Street, where the attack occurred, but authorities “do not believe at this point these people are involved … in any way”, Mr Raia said.

Investigators were also trying to understand more about Jabbar’s path to radicalisation, which they say culminated with him picking up a rented truck in Houston on December 30 and driving it to New Orleans the following night.

The FBI recovered a black Islamic State flag from his rented pick-up and reviewed five videos posted to Facebook, including one in which he said he originally planned to harm his family and friends, but was concerned that news headlines would not focus on the “war between the believers and the disbelievers”, Mr Raia said. He also left a last will and testament, the FBI said.

Jabbar joined the Army in 2007, serving on active duty in human resources and information technology and deploying to Afghanistan from 2009 to 2010, the service said. He transferred to the Army Reserve in 2015 and left in 2020 with the rank of staff sergeant.

New Orleans Car Into Crowd
This undated passport photo provided by the FBI shows Shamsud-Din Bahar Jabbar (FBI via AP)

Abdur-Rahim Jabbar, Jabbar’s younger brother, told The Associated Press on Thursday that it “doesn’t feel real” that his brother could have done this.

“I never would have thought it’d be him,” he said. “It’s completely unlike him.”

He said that his brother had been isolated in the last few years, but that he had also been in touch with him and he did not see any signs of radicalization.

“It’s completely contradictory to who he was and how his family and his friends know him,” he said.

In New Orleans on Thursday, a still-reeling city inched back toward normal operations. Authorities finished processing the scene early in the morning, removing the last of the bodies, and Bourbon Street reopened by early afternoon.

The Sugar Bowl college football game between Notre Dame and Georgia, initially set for Wednesday night and postponed by a day in the interest of national security, was still on for Thursday. The city planned to host the Super Bowl next month.

“This is one of the safest places on earth,” Louisiana Governor Jeff Landry said. “It doesn’t mean that nothing can’t happen.”

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Friends of Prince Andrew say he's "unsurprised" Giuffre made the post

Prince Andrew 'not surprised' his accuser shared shock post saying she had 'four days to live'

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families