International Criminal Court authorises probe into Philippines’ ‘war on drugs’

15 September 2021, 17:04

Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte
International Court Philippines. Picture: PA

The court’s former prosecutor sought permission from judges earlier this year to investigate the Philippine government’s campaign.

International Criminal Court (ICC) judges have authorised an investigation into the Philippines’ deadly “war on drugs” campaign, saying the crackdown “cannot be seen as a legitimate law enforcement operation”.

The court’s former prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda, sought permission from judges earlier this year to investigate the Philippine government’s campaign.

She said that a preliminary investigation she began in February 2018 found “a reasonable basis to believe that the crime against humanity of murder has been committed” in the Philippines between July 1 2016 and March 16 2019, the date the Philippines withdrew from the court.

Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte
Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte said the campaign was lawfully directed against drug lords and pushers (Aaron Favila/AP)

In a written decision, judges who considered Ms Bensouda’s request found a “reasonable basis to proceed with an investigation” into killings committed throughout the Philippines as part of the war on drugs, saying they appeared to amount to a crime against humanity under the court’s founding statute.

The court said in a statement that the judges ruled that “based on the facts as they emerge at the present stage and subject to proper investigation and further analysis, the so-called ‘war on drugs’ campaign cannot be seen as a legitimate law enforcement operation, and the killings neither as legitimate nor as mere excesses in an otherwise legitimate operation”.

They added that “the available material indicates, to the required standard, that a widespread and systematic attack against the civilian population took place pursuant to or in furtherance of a state policy”.

The judges also included in the scope of the investigation killings in the Davao area from November 1 2011, the date the Philippines joined the ICC, to June 30 2016. Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte is the former mayor of Davao.

Relatives of people killed during the government’s 'war on drugs' campaign perform on stage
Relatives of people killed during the government’s ‘war on drugs’ campaign perform on stage (Aaron Favila/AP)

When Mr Duterte announced he was withdrawing his country from the court, he defended the campaign as “lawfully directed against drug lords and pushers who have for many years destroyed the present generation, especially the youth”.

More than 6,000 mostly poor drug suspects have been killed, according to government announcements, but human rights groups say the death toll is considerably higher and should include many unsolved killings by motorcycle-riding gunmen who may have been deployed by police.

Mr Duterte has denied condoning extrajudicial killings of drug suspects although he has openly threatened suspects with death and has ordered police to shoot suspects who dangerously resist arrest.

When Ms Bensouda announced she had asked for authorisation to investigate, Mr Duterte’s spokesman, Harry Roque, called the move “legally erroneous”, saying the ICC, as an international court of last resort, could only intervene if a country’s judiciary and prosecutorial system failed to work and investigate domestic crimes.

The International Criminal Court's decision to open an investigation into brutal crimes in the Philippines offers a much-needed check on president Rodrigo Duterte and his deadly 'war on drugs'

Carlos Conde, Human Rights Watch

Mr Roque cited many pending murder and other cases involving the government’s campaign against illegal drugs which were being tried by Philippine courts.

Human Rights Watch welcomed the announcement.

“The International Criminal Court’s decision to open an investigation into brutal crimes in the Philippines offers a much-needed check on president Rodrigo Duterte and his deadly ‘war on drugs’,” Carlos Conde, the rights group’s senior Philippines researcher, said.

“Victims’ families and survivors have reason to hope that those responsible for crimes against humanity could finally face justice.”

Ms Bensouda has since left the court and been succeeded by British lawyer Karim Khan.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Friends of Prince Andrew say he's "unsurprised" Giuffre made the post

Prince Andrew 'not surprised' his accuser shared shock post saying she had 'four days to live'

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families