Parts of Sydney set for lockdown amid coronavirus surge

25 June 2021, 10:14

People queue in their cars to get tested for Covid-19
Virus Outbreak Australia. Picture: PA

An outbreak of the Delta variant was first detected last week.

Parts of Sydney will go into lockdown late on Friday amid a growing coronavirus outbreak in Australia’s largest city.

Health authorities reported an additional 22 locally transmitted cases and imposed a week-long lockdown in four areas, saying people could leave their homes only for essential purposes.

The outbreak of the highly contagious Delta variant was first detected last week, and 65 people have been infected.

Gladys Berejiklian, the premier of New South Wales state, said: “If you live or work in those local government areas, you need to stay at home unless absolutely necessary.”

She said the lockdown, which was due to go into effect just before midnight, would have a significant impact on businesses, especially in the central business district of the city of more than five million people.

“This is in order for us to ensure that this doesn’t take a hold for weeks and weeks, and we believe this is a proportionate response to the risk,” Ms Berejiklian said.

A day earlier, the premier had said there no need for further restrictions, despite it being the “scariest period” the state had been through during the pandemic.

Ms Berejiklian herself tested negative for the virus after her agriculture minister Adam Marshall tested positive.

Health minister Brad Hazzard is self-isolating as a close contact of a suspected Covid-19 case in Parliament House.

The local council areas in Sydney headed for lockdown are Woollahra, Waverley, Randwick and the City of Sydney.

People can leave their homes only for essential work or education, shopping, and exercise.

Authorities say the cluster spread from a Sydney airport limousine driver. He was not vaccinated, reportedly did not wear a mask and is suspected to have been infected while transporting a foreign air crew.

Australian states have closed their borders to travellers either from parts of Sydney or from anywhere in New South Wales.

New Zealand has stopped quarantine-free travel with the state until at least July 6.

One of the people infected travelled to New Zealand’s capital Wellington last weekend, visiting restaurants, bars and tourist spots.

That prompted some restrictions in Wellington, although no-one in the city has tested positive so far.

Australia has been relatively successful in containing coronavirus clusters, although the Delta variant first detected in India is proving more challenging.

The nation’s vaccine rollout has been slower than in many other developed countries, with only about one quarter of the population having received at least one dose.

The pandemic has claimed 910 deaths in Australia, which has a population of 26 million.

The only Covid-19 death since October involved an 80-year-old man who became infected overseas and was diagnosed in hotel quarantine.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'

Virginia Giuffre warned it was a "very bad situation" after she claimed a school bus ploughed into her car

Virginia Giuffre was charged with breaching restraining order days before crash that 'left her with days to live'