Child among four dead in shooting at California office building

1 April 2021, 08:34

California shooting
California Shooting Offices. Picture: PA

It was the country’s third mass shooting in just over two weeks.

A child was among four people killed in a shooting at an office building in California that left a fifth victim and the gunman critically wounded, police said.

The violence in the city of Orange, southeast of Los Angeles, in the US, was the country’s third mass shooting in just over two weeks.

When police arrived at the two-storey building at about 5.30pm on Wednesday, shots were being fired, police officer Jennifer Amat said.

Officers opened fire and the suspect was taken to hospital, Ms Amat said.

It is unclear whether the suspect suffered a self-inflicted wound or was shot by police.

Police provided no details on the victims other than to say one was a child and a woman was critically wounded.

In a tweet, California governor Gavin Newsom called the killings “horrifying and heartbreaking”.

“Our hearts are with the families impacted by this terrible tragedy tonight,” he wrote.

Ms Amat had no information about what may have prompted the attack.

California shooting
The shooting took place in Orange, California (Jae C. Hong/AP)

She said the shooting occurred on both levels of the building.

Signs outside indicated a handful of businesses were located there, including an insurance office, a financial consulting firm, a legal services business and a phone repair shop.

People gathered outside the building after the shooting hoping to get word about loved ones.

Paul Tovar told KTLA-TV that his brother owns a business there, Unified Homes, a mobile home broker. “He’s not answering his phone, neither’s my niece,” Mr Tovar said. “I’m pretty scared and worried – right now I’m just praying really hard.”

Charlie Espinoza told The Orange County Register that he could not reach his fiance, who works for a medical billing company.

Cody Lev, who lives across the street from the office building, told the newspaper he heard three loud pops that were spaced out, then three more.

California shooting
Investigators outside the office building (Jae C. Hong/AP)

There was silence, then he heard numerous shots, followed by sirens and then more shots.A Facebook livestream posted by a resident who lives near the office appeared to show officers carrying a motionless person from the building and officers providing aid to another person.

The killings follow a mass shooting at a supermarket in Boulder, Colorado, last week that left 10 dead.

A week before that six women were among eight people killed in three Atlanta-area spas.

The city of Orange is about 30 miles from Los Angeles and home to about 140,000 people.

Ms Amat said the shooting was the worst in the city since December 1997, when a gunman armed with an assault rifle attacked a California department of transportation maintenance yard.

Arturo Reyes Torres, 41, an equipment operator who had been fired six weeks earlier, killed four people and wounded others, including a police officer, before police killed him.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'

Virginia Giuffre warned it was a "very bad situation" after she claimed a school bus ploughed into her car

Virginia Giuffre was charged with breaching restraining order days before crash that 'left her with days to live'