Lebanon’s new PM vows to rebuild after economic meltdown and war with Israel

14 January 2025, 14:24

Lebanese Prime Minister-designate Nawaf Salam speaks to the media after meeting President Joseph Aoun
Lebanon. Picture: PA

Nawaf Salam was speaking after meeting Lebanon’s new president, Joseph Aoun, who himself took office last week.

Lebanon’s prime minister-designate has vowed to work on building a modern state in the crisis-hit country, saying his priorities will be to rebuild after the destruction caused by a lengthy war with Israel and work on pulling the small nation out of its historic economic meltdown.

Nawaf Salam was speaking on Tuesday after meeting Lebanon’s new president, Joseph Aoun, who himself took office last week.

With the nomination of Mr Salam and confirmation of Mr Aoun, Lebanon, which has been run by a caretaker administration, now has a new government-in-waiting for the first time in two years.

After the meeting, Mr Salam said he will not marginalise any side in Lebanon, an apparent reference to the Hezbollah militant group, which in past years opposed his appointment as prime minister and this year indicated its preference for another candidate.

Lebanon
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun, centre, meets Prime Minister-designate Nawaf Salam, right, and Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, left (Lebanese Presidency press office/AP)

Hezbollah has been weakened by its 14-month war with Israel, which ended in late November when a US-brokered 60-day ceasefire went into effect. The war left 4,000 people dead and more than 16,000 wounded and caused destruction totalling hundreds of millions of dollars.

Mr Salam, who is currently the head of the International Court of Justice, said he will work on spreading the state’s authority across all parts of the country.

On Monday he won the support of a majority of politicians, after which Mr Aoun formally asked him to form a new government.

Over the past years, Hezbollah and its allies have blocked Mr Salam from becoming prime minister, casting him as a US-backed candidate.

“The time has come to say ‘Enough’. Now is the time to start a new chapter,” said Mr Salam.

He added that people in Lebanon have suffered badly because of “the latest brutal Israeli aggression on Lebanon and because of the worst economic crisis and financial policies that made the Lebanese poor”.

Decades of corruption and political paralysis have left Lebanon’s banks barely functional, while electricity services are almost entirely in the hands of private diesel-run generator owners and fuel suppliers.

In 2020, the Covid-19 pandemic further battered the economy, and the Beirut port explosion, one of the largest non-nuclear blasts ever recorded, badly damaged several neighbourhoods in the heart of the capital.

Lebanon
Lebanese Prime Minister-designate Nawaf Salam said ‘Now is the time to start a new chapter’ (Hassan Ammar/AP)

Mr Salam vowed to fully implement the UN Security Council resolution related to the Israel-Hezbollah war which states that Israel should withdraw its troops from southern Lebanon and Hezbollah should not have an armed presence close to the border with Israel.

The premier added that he will work on spreading state authority across all parts of Lebanon through “its forces”.

Mr Salam said he will work on a programme that will help the country with a population of six million people, including one million Syrian refugees, out of its economic crisis that exploded into protests in October 2019.

Since the economic crisis began, successive governments have done little to implement reforms demanded by the international community that would lead to the release of billions of dollars of investments and loans by foreign donors.

“Both my hands are extended to all of you so that we all move forward in the mission of salvation, reforms and reconstruction,” Mr Salam said.

Neither he nor Mr Aoun, an army commander who was elected president last week, is considered part of the political class that ruled the country after the end of the 1975-90 civil war.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Friends of Prince Andrew say he's "unsurprised" Giuffre made the post

Prince Andrew 'not surprised' his accuser shared shock post saying she had 'four days to live'

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families