Norwegian court rejects mass killer Anders Breivik’s second bid for parole

5 December 2024, 16:04

Anders Breivik with three prison guards
Norway Mass Murder. Picture: PA

Breivik was convicted in 2012 of mass murder and terrorism for a bombing that killed eight and a shooting on Utoya island where he gunned down 69.

A Norwegian court has rejected a second bid for parole by mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people in a bombing and shooting rampage in 2011.

The Ringerike, Asker and Bærum district court last month held a parole hearing for Breivik, 45, who is serving a 21-year sentence.

In a written verdict dated Wednesday, it said that Breivik’s request was denied and that it considered it clear that continued detention was necessary in the interest of public safety.

It said it was positive that Breivik had embarked on programmes that could have a rehabilitating effect, but that has not yet progressed far enough to have a significant impact on assessments of the risk of him reoffending.

Interior view of a prison cell
Anders Breivik is being held in solitary confinement (Ole Berg-Rusten/NTB Scanpix/AP)

Breivik was convicted in 2012 of mass murder and terrorism for a bombing that killed eight people at a government building in Oslo, and a shooting massacre on Utoya island where he gunned down 69 people at a holiday camp for youth activists from the Labour Party.

Breivik’s parole application was heard in a makeshift courtroom in the gymnasium at the Ringerike prison, outside Oslo, where a similar hearing was held in January 2022.

Authorities in Norway have said Breivik has the same rights as any other prisoner and that treating him differently would undermine the principles that underpin Norwegian society, including the rule of law and freedom of speech.

He has been held in isolation since he began serving his prison sentence in 2012 and has argued several times that his treatment amounts to inhumane punishment under the European Convention on Human Rights.

Each time courts have rejected his claims.

At the Ringerike prison he is held in a two-storey complex with a kitchen, dining room and TV room with an Xbox, several armchairs and black and white pictures of the Eiffel Tower on the wall. He also has a fitness room with weights, a treadmill and a rowing machine.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

White House weighs in to support ‘censored’ anti-abortion activists in Britain

White House looking to support ‘censored’ anti-abortion activists in Britain

This image provided by NASA shows Nick Hague, right, Suni Williams, and Butch Wilmore. (NASA via AP)

Stranded NASA astronauts reveal they were almost trapped in space 'forever' after horror malfunction

Donald Trump demands France 'free Marine Le Pen'

Donald Trump demands France 'free Marine Le Pen' after far-right leader found guilty of embezzlement in 'witch hunt'

China will impose a 34% retaliatory tariff on imports from the US

China announces additional 34% tariffs on US imports in retaliation over Trump's 'Liberation Day' levies

Friends of Prince Andrew say he's "unsurprised" Giuffre made the post

Prince Andrew 'not surprised' his accuser shared shock post saying she had 'four days to live'

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'