South Korea and US preparing for summer military drills

12 August 2024, 08:04

South Korea Koreas Tensions
South Korea Koreas Tensions. Picture: PA

The annual drills could trigger a belligerent response from North Korea.

South Korea and the United States will begin their annual joint military exercises next week with a focus on improving combined capabilities to deter and defend against growing North Korean nuclear threats, the allies said.

The drills could trigger a belligerent response from North Korea, which portrays them as invasion rehearsals and has used the allies’ military co-operation as a pretext to advance the development of nuclear weapons and missile systems.

South Korean and US military officials said this year’s Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, scheduled for August 19 to 29, will include computer-simulated exercises designed to enhance readiness against such threats as missiles, GPS jamming and cyber attacks, as well as concurrent field manoeuvres and live-fire exercises.

South Korean protesters stage a rally opposing the joint military exercises
South Korean protesters stage a rally opposing the joint military exercises between the US and South Korea in Seoul (Ahn Young-Joon/AP)

The allies in particular aim to “further strengthen (their) capability and posture to deter and defend against weapons of mass destruction”, military officials said in a joint news conference.

Lee Sung Joon, spokesperson of South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff, said about 19,000 South Korean troops will participate in the drills, which he described as an “essential element for maintaining a strong defence posture to protect the Republic of Korea”, using South Korea’s formal name.

Ryan Donald, spokesperson of US Forces Korea, did not comment on the number of US troops participating in the exercises and said he could not immediately confirm whether the drills will involve US strategic assets.

The United States has in recent months increased its regional deployment of long-range bombers, submarines and aircraft carrier strike groups to train with South Korean and Japanese assets in a show of force against the North.

“This exercise will reflect realistic threats across all domains such as the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea’s missile threats and we will take in lessons learned from recent armed conflicts,” Mr Donald said, invoking the North’s formal name.

“ROK and US units will execute combined field training exercises across all domains. Field manoeuvre and live fire exercises will strengthen the alliance’s interoperability while showcasing our combined capabilities and resolve,” he said.

In addition to its military exercises with the United States, the South Korean military will support the country’s civil defence and evacuation drills on August 19-22, which will include programmes based on North Korean nuclear attack scenarios, Mr Lee said.

Animosity on the Korean Peninsula is high as North Korean leader Kim Jong Un continues to use Russia’s war on Ukraine as a window to accelerate weapons development while issuing verbal threats of nuclear conflict towards Washington and Seoul.

In response, South Korea, the United States and Japan have been expanding their combined military exercises and sharpening their nuclear deterrence strategies built around US strategic assets.

Colonel Ryan Donald, right, CFC/UNC/USFK public affairs director, and Colonel Lee Sung-jun of South Korea’s JCS public affairs director, attend a press briefing of the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises at the Defence Ministry in Seoul, South Korea
Colonel Ryan Donald, right, CFC/UNC/USFK public affairs director, and Colonel Lee Sung-jun of South Korea’s JCS public affairs director, attend a press briefing of the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises at the Defence Ministry in Seoul, South Korea (Ahn Young-joon/AP)

During last year’s Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, North Korea conducted ballistic missile tests that it described as simulating “scorched earth” nuclear strikes on South Korean targets.

South Korea’s military said on Monday that the North launched about 240 balloons, but only 10 were known to have landed in the South, all in areas north of the capital Seoul.

Those balloons carried paper waste and plastic bottles, and no dangerous substances were found, the South’s joint chiefs said.

It was the first time North Korea flew balloons towards the South since July 24, when rubbish carried by at least one of them fell on the South Korean presidential compound, raising worries about the vulnerability of key South Korean facilities.

The balloon contained no dangerous material and no-one was hurt.

Also on Monday, South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol nominated presidential security chief Kim Yong-hyun, one of his closest confidants, as defence minister.

Mr Kim will be replacing Shin Won-sik, who was picked to be Mr Yoon’s new national security adviser, according to the presidential office.

As a nominee for a cabinet job, Mr Kim is subject to a parliamentary hearing, although Mr Yoon can appoint him even if legislators object.

Mr Yoon, a conservative, has struggled to push his agenda through the opposition-controlled National Assembly.

The liberals have often criticised Mr Yoon’s national security policies as hawkish and called for stronger efforts to revive dialogue with the North.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

China will impose a 34% retaliatory tariff on imports from the US

China announces additional 34% tariffs on US imports in retaliation over Trump's 'Liberation Day' levies

Friends of Prince Andrew say he's "unsurprised" Giuffre made the post

Prince Andrew 'not surprised' his accuser shared shock post saying she had 'four days to live'

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'