Legal setback for Aung San Suu Kyi in Myanmar ‘sedition’ case

29 June 2021, 16:14

Aung San Suu Kyi (Paul Faith/PA)
Aung San Suu Kyi. Picture: PA

The ousted leader wanted to disqualify some of the prosecution evidence against her.

Myanmar’s ousted leader Aung San Suu Kyi suffered a legal setback when a judge denied her lawyers’ motion to disqualify prosecution evidence against her on a sedition charge, her defence team said.

The court, however, said it would allow the issue to be referred to the High Court and would suspend evidence until a ruling is issued.

Ousted President Win Myint and the former mayor of Naypyitaw, Myo Aung, her close political allies, are co-defendants in the charge.

The court will continue to hear prosecution evidence on other charges Ms Suu Kyi faces: that she illegally imported walkie-talkies for her bodyguards’ use and used those radios without a licence, and violated Covid-19 pandemic restrictions on two occasions during the 2020 election campaign.

Myanmar Suu Kyi
Min Min Soe, a lawyer assigned by the National League for Democracy party to represent deposed leader Aung San Suu Kyi (AP)

Ms Suu Kyi went on trial on June 14 in a closed court in Naypyitaw, the capital.

The ruling military junta is widely seen as using the charges to discredit her and consolidate its control. Sessions are being held weekly on Mondays and Tuesdays.

The military took power in February after ousting Ms Suu Kyi’s elected government and arresting her and other top officials in her administration and National League for Democracy party, which had been due to start a second five-year term after winning a landslide victory in a general election last November.

The army has said it will hold new polls within two years of its takeover, but a conviction on virtually any charge could result in Ms Suu Kyi being banned from running.

The sedition charge, which is sometimes called incitement, provides for up to two years’ imprisonment for anyone guilty of causing fear or alarm that could create an offence against the state or public tranquillity.

It has been law since Myanmar was a British colony, and has been criticised as a catch-all statute that infringes on freedom of speech and is used for political repression.

The plaintiff, a local Naypyitaw official, cited two statements posted on the Facebook page of Ms Suu Kyi’s party as evidence supporting the sedition charge.

Protesters holding National League for Democracy (NLD) flags raise three-finger salutes during flash protests against the military coup at Bahan township in Yangon, Myanmar (AP)
Protesters holding National League for Democracy (NLD) flags raise three-finger salutes during flash protests against the military coup at Bahan township in Yangon, Myanmar (AP)

Ms Suu Kyi’s defence team raised an objection to that testimony, noting that all members of the party’s central executive committee, including Ms Suu Kyi, had already been arrested before the statements were posted.

San Mar La Nyunt, the defence lawyer handling the sedition case, said they raised the objection because the prosecution witnesses’ evidence “was not in accordance with the law”.

After the court ruled it allowable, they asked for and were given permission to apply to the High Court.

Ms Suu Kyi faces additional charges that have yet to be tried, among them allegedly accepting bribes, which carries a penalty of up to 15 years in prison, and violating the Official Secrets Act, which has a maximum prison term of 14 years.

Ms Suu Kyi, 76, who has not been allowed a public appearance since her arrest, passed a message through her lawyers for the public to stay united in the face of the political situation and the Covid-19 crisis.

She also said that a doctor and a nurse are assigned to her, but that she is in good health, said another of her lawyers, Min Min Soe.

Earlier in the trial, Ms Suu Kyi had complained of a toothache.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'

Virginia Giuffre warned it was a "very bad situation" after she claimed a school bus ploughed into her car

Virginia Giuffre was charged with breaching restraining order days before crash that 'left her with days to live'