Sir Rod Stewart assault trial cancelled and plea deal hearing set

12 September 2021, 19:14

Sir Rod Stewart
Celtic v Hibernian – Ladbrokes Scottish Premiership – Celtic Park. Picture: PA

The rocker and his son were accused of attacking a security guard at a luxury hotel in Florida.

The trial of veteran rock star Sir Rod Stewart and his son Sean has been cancelled and a hearing scheduled for next month to discuss a plea deal.

The case relates to charges stemming from a New Year’s Eve altercation with a hotel security guard nearly two years ago.

Florida court records show that a hearing with Judge August Bonavita has been set for October 22 regarding a plea agreement to close the case without the pair being required to appear in court.

Rod Stewart
Sir Rod Stewart and his son were charged following an incident in Florida in 2019 (Matt Crossick/PA)

The trial had been scheduled to start on Tuesday but was cancelled on Thursday.

If convicted, the Stewarts were facing a year in jail, or probation and a 1,000 US dollars (£723) fine. The terms of the agreement were not clear.

The Stewarts’ assault charges have taken longer than usual to resolve because of the pandemic and settlement negotiations.

The London-born singer of ’70s hits including Da Ya Think I’m Sexy? and Maggie May is a member of the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame and was knighted by the Queen in 2016.

Sir Rod and his son are accused of pushing and shoving security guard Jessie Dixon at the luxury The Breakers Hotel on December 31 2019 after he refused to let them into a New Year’s Eve party.

Sir Rod with his wife Penny Lancaster
Sir Rod and his wife Penny Lancaster (Ian West/PA)

Mr Dixon told Palm Beach police officers that the Stewarts’ group was at the check-in table for a private party and were not authorised to attend, a police report said.

Mr Dixon, then 33, said the group became loud and began causing a scene. The security guard told investigators he had put his hand on Sean’s chest and told him to back up and make space. That was when the rock star’s son had got “nose to nose” with Mr Dixon.

Sean, now 41, then shoved Mr Dixon backwards. Sir Rod, now 76, punched Mr Dixon in his “left rib cage area” with a closed fist, prosecutors allege.

Sean told investigators he became agitated when they were not able to attend the event “due to Dixon’s interaction with him and his family”.

Two Breakers employees who were working at the private event told police they saw Sean push Mr Dixon and Sir Rod punch the guard.

The arresting officer said he had viewed security footage at the hotel and determined that the Stewarts were the “primary aggressors”.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Video footage shows the convoy had emergency lights flashing when it was hit

Israel admits ‘mistakenly’ killing 15 aid workers after video leak contradicted official version of events

Jaguar Land Rover has paused shipments to the US in the wake of 'Liberation Day' tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover halts shipments to US in wake of tariffs as Trump insists he'll win 'economic revolution'

Flowers and toys left on a swing seat to commemorate victims killed in Russia's missile attack on Friday

Death toll from Russian strike on Zelenskyy's home town rises as 18 confirmed dead - including nine children

Donald Trump's 10% tariff on UK products has officially come into force

Trump tariffs come into force as global stock markets plunge deeper into the red

Tom Howard

British tourist killed after being struck by boulder on trek through Himalayas

In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Emergency Service, a car burns following a Russian missile attack that killed more than a dozen people, including children, in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, Friday, April 4, 2025. (Ukrainian Emergency Service via AP)

Russia kills 16 people including three children in missile strike on Zelenskyy's home town, with dozens wounded

Travel influencer Mykhailo Viktorovych Polyakov, 24, made an illegal visit to North Sentinel Island

Tourist who left Coke for world's most isolated tribe 'could have wiped them all out' - and police 'can't go collect can'

White House weighs in to support ‘censored’ anti-abortion activists in Britain

White House looking to support ‘censored’ anti-abortion activists in Britain

This image provided by NASA shows Nick Hague, right, Suni Williams, and Butch Wilmore. (NASA via AP)

Stranded NASA astronauts reveal they were almost trapped in space 'forever' after horror malfunction

Donald Trump demands France 'free Marine Le Pen'

Donald Trump demands France 'free Marine Le Pen' after far-right leader found guilty of embezzlement in 'witch hunt'

China will impose a 34% retaliatory tariff on imports from the US

China announces additional 34% tariffs on US imports in retaliation over Trump's 'Liberation Day' levies

Friends of Prince Andrew say he's "unsurprised" Giuffre made the post

Prince Andrew 'not surprised' his accuser shared shock post saying she had 'four days to live'

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’