New Orleans attacker had suspected bomb materials at home, officials say

3 January 2025, 22:34

Military personnel walk down Bourbon Street in New Orleans
New Orleans Car Into Crowd. Picture: PA

The White House said President Joe Biden would travel to New Orleans next week.

The man killed by New Orleans police after ramming a pick-up truck into a crowd of New Year’s revellers had suspected bomb-making materials at his home and reserved the vehicle used in the deadly attack more than six weeks earlier, law enforcement officials have told The Associated Press.

Federal authorities searching the home of Shamsud-Din Jabbar in Houston found a workbench in the garage and hazardous materials believed to have been used to make explosive devices, according to law enforcement officials familiar with the search.

The FBI investigation also revealed that Jabbar purchased a cooler in Vidor, Texas, hours before the attack and gun oil from a store in Sulphur, Louisiana, the officials said.

Shamsud-Din Jabbar
Shamsud-Din Jabbar (Federal Bureau of Investigation via AP)

Authorities also determined Jabbar booked his rental of the pick-up truck on November 14, suggesting he may have been plotting the attack for more than six weeks.

Authorities say 14 people were killed and about 30 were injured in the attack early on Wednesday by Jabbar, a former army soldier who posted social media messages saying he was inspired by the so-called Islamic State militant group.

Jabbar, 42, was fatally shot in a firefight with police at the scene of the deadly crash on Bourbon Street, famous worldwide for its festive vibes in New Orleans’ historic French Quarter.

Authorities found crude bombs that had been planted in the neighbourhood in an apparent attempt to cause more carnage.

Two improvised explosive devices left in coolers several streets apart were rendered safe at the scene, officials said.

Other devices were determined to be non-functional.

Authorities on Friday were still investigating Jabbar’s motives and how he carried out the attack.

Two police officers were wounded in the shootout with Jabbar.

A memorial for the victims of a deadly New Year’s Day truck attack in the French Quarter of New Orleans
A memorial for the victims of a deadly New Year’s Day truck attack in the French Quarter of New Orleans (George Walker IV/AP)

New Orleans police declined to comment on how many shots were fired, citing the active investigation.

Bourbon Street was solemn on Friday.

A day after the crime scene reopened to the public, locals and tourists stopped to pay respects to victims of the attack as the sound of bucket drums echoed.

People shed tears while gathering at a growing memorial.

Some left flowers and candles while others dropped to their knees to say a quick prayer.

Meanwhile, 13 people remain in hospital.

Eight people were in intensive care at University Medical Centre New Orleans, spokesperson Carolina Giepert said.

The White House said President Joe Biden would travel to New Orleans next week.

The president and first lady planned to visit on Monday to “grieve with the families and community members impacted by the tragic attack”.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'

Virginia Giuffre warned it was a "very bad situation" after she claimed a school bus ploughed into her car

Virginia Giuffre was charged with breaching restraining order days before crash that 'left her with days to live'