Joe Biden holds private meeting with families of troops who died in Kabul

29 August 2021, 17:44

President Joe Biden returns a salute (Manuel Balce Ceneta/AP)
Afghanistan Biden Troops. Picture: PA

First lady Jill Biden joined the president at Dover Air Force Base to grieve with loved ones.

President Joe Biden met in solemn privacy with the families of the 13 US troops killed in the suicide attack near the Kabul airport and became the fourth commander in chief to bear witness as the remains of the fallen returned to US soil from Afghanistan.

First lady Jill Biden joined the president at Dover Air Force Base to grieve with loved ones as the “dignified transfer” of remains unfolded, a military ritual for those killed in foreign combat.

The dead ranged in age from 20 to 31, and came from California and Massachusetts and states in between.

They include a 20-year-old Marine from Wyoming who had been expecting his first child in three weeks and a 22-year-old Navy corpsman who in his last FaceTime conversation with his mother assured her that he would stay safe because “my guys got me”.

Five were just 20, born not long before the attacks of September 11, 2001, that spurred the United States to invade Afghanistan in order to topple al Qaida and dismantle their Taliban hosts who ruled the country.

President Joe Biden and Jill Biden are greeted as they arrive at Dover Air Force Base, Delaware (Manuel Balce Ceneta/AP)
President Joe Biden and Jill Biden are greeted as they arrive at Dover Air Force Base, Delaware (Manuel Balce Ceneta/AP)

At their deaths, the 13 young service members were on the ground for the US coda to its longest war, assisting a chaotic evacuation of Americans and of Afghans who helped the US war effort and are now fleeing the Taliban after their return to power.

“The 13 service members that we lost were heroes who made the ultimate sacrifice in service of our highest American ideals and while saving the lives of others,” Mr Biden said in a statement.

“Their bravery and selflessness has enabled more than 117,000 people at risk to reach safety thus far.”

Family members of the fallen often travel to Dover to be present as flag-draped transfer cases are taken off the transport plane that returns them to American soil.

Aside from the quiet commands of honour guards who carry the transfer cases, the short prayers of the chaplain typically are the only words spoken during the ritual.

Mr Biden’s three most recent predecessors as presidents all attended such dignified transfers.

It was Mr Biden’s first time taking part in the ritual as president, but he has been here before.

Mr Biden attended a dignified transfer for two US soldiers killed in a suicide blast at Bagram Airfield in the final months of his vice presidency in 2016.

Sarah Frerking places flowers at the entrance to Camp Pendleton in Oceanside, California (Mindy Schauer/AP)
Sarah Frerking places flowers at the entrance to Camp Pendleton in Oceanside, California (Mindy Schauer/AP)

In 2008, while a senator and at the request of the grieving family, he attended one for a soldier killed in a car bombing in Iraq.

Mr Biden told CBS’ Face The Nation that he had to get permission from the Pentagon to attend the transfer.

The 13 troops who died in Kabul were the first US service members killed in Afghanistan since February 2020.

That was when the Trump administration reached an agreement with the Taliban that called for the militant group to halt attacks on Americans in exchange for a US commitment to remove all US troops and contractors by May 2021.

Mr Biden announced in April that he would have all forces out by September.

Eleven of the 13 Americans killed were Marines.

One was a Navy sailor and one an Army soldier.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'