Greek PM seeks ‘win-win’ solution to Elgin Marbles dispute with British Museum

12 May 2023, 09:04 | Updated: 28 November 2023, 10:31

Kyriakos Mitsotakis
The AP Interview Mitsotakis Parthenon Sculptures. Picture: PA

Kyriakos Mitsotakis said: ‘We will never recognise that these sculptures are owned … by the British Museum.’

Greece’s Prime Minister has said his government is exploring a “win-win” solution to one of the world’s most intractable cultural heritage disputes – the fate of the Elgin Marbles in the British Museum.

However, Kyriakos Mitsotakis also ruled out any deal that would include the word “loan”.

The Greek leader said of the Parthenon Sculptures: “We will never recognise that these sculptures are owned, legally owned by the British Museum.

“But again, we have to be constructive and we have to be innovative if a solution is to be found.”

Mr Mitsotakis’s government has been in talks over the ancient sculptures, which form a key part of the British Museum’s collections.

In February, the museum’s chair said the talks had been “constructive” and that the UK and Greece were working on a deal that would have the sculptures displayed in both London and Athens.

Parthenon Marbles
A Sections of the Parthenon Marbles in London’s British Museum (Matthew Fearn/PA)

Mr Mitsotakis said: “I wouldn’t like to comment publicly on the discussions that we’ve had. I would just say that we are, without changing … our fundamental position about the ownership of the sculptures, we’re trying to explore a possible win-win proposition that would work for both sides.”

Asked whether Greece might consider seeing the sculptures returned as a loan, Mr Mitsotakis was unequivocal.

“No, no,” he said. “That word ‘loan’ is not part of … what I consider a win-win solution.”

Greece has been campaigning for decades for the return of the Parthenon Sculptures, which once adorned the Parthenon atop the Acropolis in Athens.

The 520ft frieze ran around the outer walls of the Parthenon, dedicated to Athena, goddess of wisdom.

Carved between 447-432 BC, the frieze and other sculptures remained largely intact until the temple, which was being used by a Turkish garrison as a gunpowder store, was blown up during a siege in 1687.

Much was lost in the explosion, and about half the surviving works were removed by British diplomat Lord Elgin in the early 19th century, while Athens was still under the rule of the Ottoman Empire. They have been in the British Museum since 1816.

Protest outside the British Museum
Demonstrators in costume outside the British Museum calling for the return of the Parthenon Sculptures, also known as the Elgin Marbles, to Greece (Stefan Rousseau/PA)

Greece claims they were illegally acquired during a period of foreign occupation. British officials have rebuffed repeated demands for their return.

Mr Mitsotakis said that although the issue has been “parked” during the campaign leading up to Greece’s May 21 elections, “should we get re-elected, I’m looking to pick up again the momentum and build upon the progress that we have made”.

Amidst the global debate on the restitution of cultural artefacts, Greece has already reached two deals that have seen some 2,500-year-old marble fragments of the Parthenon Sculptures returned to Athens from European museums.

In January, the Vatican Museums returned three small parts of the sculptures in a “donation” from Pope Francis, while another arrived in Athens on loan from a museum in Palermo, Sicily.

Vienna’s Kunsthistorisches Museum is in talks about returning another two fragments.

The Acropolis Museum in Athens contains a gallery dedicated to the marble sculptures, where the missing parts have been replaced by plaster casts.

Other fragments are in Paris, Copenhagen, Munich and Wuerzburg in Germany, and Vienna.

Mr Mitsotakis met last November with the then-prince of Wales, now the King, but said he did not broach the subject.

“I would never put His Majesty in a difficult position. I fully respect his role,” he said.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'

Virginia Giuffre warned it was a "very bad situation" after she claimed a school bus ploughed into her car

Virginia Giuffre was charged with breaching restraining order days before crash that 'left her with days to live'