Floods in central Europe threaten new areas as 1,000 people evacuated in Italy

19 September 2024, 16:44

The Lamone river overflows its banks near Bagnacavallo, in the region of Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Italy Floods. Picture: PA

The death toll is rising in central Europe as receding waters reveal the huge scale of the destruction caused by exceptionally heavy rains.

A massive flood wave moving across central Europe is threatening new areas and raising concerns among residents and leaders.

It also prompted European Union head Ursula von der Leyen to plan a visit to the region on Thursday.

Heavy rains caused flooding and the evacuation of some 1,000 residents in the northern Italian region of Emilia-Romagna.

The Lamone river overflows its banks near Bagnacavallo, in the region of Emilia-Romagna, Italy
The Lamone river overflows its banks near Bagnacavallo, in the region of Emilia-Romagna, Italy (Fabrizio Zani/AP)

The death toll was rising in central Europe, as receding waters were revealing the huge scale of the destruction caused by exceptionally heavy rains that began a week ago.

Czech Interior Minister Vit Rakusan said the death toll had risen to five in the hard-hit north-east Czech Republic, and that eight were still missing.

That brings the death toll so far to 24 in the region.

Authorities have also reported seven deaths each in Poland and Romania, and five in Austria.

Authorities across the affected region have deployed their militaries.

In the two hardest-hit regions in the north-east Czech Republic, troops joined firefighters and other emergency officials to help residents with clean-up and recovery efforts.

Central Europe Floods
A satellite image released shows flooded homes and businesses following heavy rains in Kravare, Czech Republic (Maxar Technologies/AP)

Army helicopters have been used to distribute humanitarian help while soldiers are building temporary bridges after many were destroyed in the flooding.

Some 400 people remain in evacuation centres in the regional capital of Ostrava and are not able yet to return home.

In the country’s south-west near the border with Austria, the water level of the Luznice River has reached an extreme level but the evacuation of 1,000 people in the town of Veseli nad Luznici was not necessary for the moment, officials said.

Further to the south, in Hungary, flood waters continued to rise on Thursday as authorities shut down roadways, rail stations and ferries along the Danube River.

In the capital, Budapest, water spilled over the city’s lower quays and threatened to reach transport infrastructure like trams and metro lines. Some transport services were suspended.

Further upriver, in a region known as the Danube Bend, homes and restaurants near the riverbanks were inundated as officials and volunteers continued to place sandbags to reinforce levees.

Hungary Floods
Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban holds a news briefing on flood protection developments in Budapest, Hungary (Szilard Koszticsak/AP)

Nearly 6,000 professionals, including members of Hungary’s water authority and military, have been mobilised to assist in flood preparations, Prime Minister Viktor Orban said in a news conference Thursday morning.

Inmates from prisons had also been mobilised to help fill sandbags, Mr Orban said.

The Danube rose nearly one metre (3.3 feet) in 24 hours, and by Thursday morning stood at 771 centimetres, approaching the 891-centimetre record set during major flooding in 2013.

In south-western Poland, the high water reached the city of Wroclaw and a stretched-out wave was expected to take many hours, even days to pass, exerting pressure on the embankments.

Concerned by the scope of the destruction and the need for immediate aid, Prime Minister Donald Tusk invited von der Leyen to Wroclaw to see the situation with her own eyes.

Government leaders from the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Austria are also to be present.

To the south in Italy, about a thousand residents were evacuated in the northern region of Emilia-Romagna after it was hit by torrential rains and severe flooding overnight, local media reported on Thursday.

Rivers flooded in three of the region’s provinces — Ravenna, Bologna and Faenza — as local mayors asked people to stay on the upper floors or leave their houses.

At least 800 residents in the Ravenna area and almost 200 in Bologna province spent the night in shelters, schools and sports centres as local rivers overflowed.

Trains were suspended and schools closed across the affected areas, and residents have been advised to avoid travel and work from home where possible.

Cleanup efforts were under way in Austria on Thursday, where flooding washed away roads and led to landslides and bridge damage. Firefighters and soldiers pumped water and mud out of houses and disposed of damaged furniture, broadcaster ORF quoted fire department spokesperson Klaus Stebal as saying.

The governor of Lower Austria province, Johanna Mikl-Leitner, said reconstruction was expected to take years, according to the Austria Press Agency.

The Vienna public transport company has had to pump almost a million litres (260,000 gallons) of water since last weekend.

Ten towns and areas were still inaccessible on Thursday, APA reported.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Video footage shows the convoy had emergency lights flashing when it was hit

Israel admits ‘mistakenly’ killing 15 aid workers after video leak contradicted official version of events

Jaguar Land Rover has paused shipments to the US in the wake of 'Liberation Day' tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover halts shipments to US in wake of tariffs as Trump insists he'll win 'economic revolution'

Flowers and toys left on a swing seat to commemorate victims killed in Russia's missile attack on Friday

Death toll from Russian strike on Zelenskyy's home town rises as 18 confirmed dead - including nine children

Donald Trump's 10% tariff on UK products has officially come into force

Trump tariffs come into force as global stock markets plunge deeper into the red

Tom Howard

British tourist killed after being struck by boulder on trek through Himalayas

In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Emergency Service, a car burns following a Russian missile attack that killed more than a dozen people, including children, in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, Friday, April 4, 2025. (Ukrainian Emergency Service via AP)

Russia kills 16 people including three children in missile strike on Zelenskyy's home town, with dozens wounded

Travel influencer Mykhailo Viktorovych Polyakov, 24, made an illegal visit to North Sentinel Island

Tourist who left Coke for world's most isolated tribe 'could have wiped them all out' - and police 'can't go collect can'

White House weighs in to support ‘censored’ anti-abortion activists in Britain

White House looking to support ‘censored’ anti-abortion activists in Britain

This image provided by NASA shows Nick Hague, right, Suni Williams, and Butch Wilmore. (NASA via AP)

Stranded NASA astronauts reveal they were almost trapped in space 'forever' after horror malfunction

Donald Trump demands France 'free Marine Le Pen'

Donald Trump demands France 'free Marine Le Pen' after far-right leader found guilty of embezzlement in 'witch hunt'

China will impose a 34% retaliatory tariff on imports from the US

China announces additional 34% tariffs on US imports in retaliation over Trump's 'Liberation Day' levies

Friends of Prince Andrew say he's "unsurprised" Giuffre made the post

Prince Andrew 'not surprised' his accuser shared shock post saying she had 'four days to live'

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’