Romanian court orders recount of presidential election first round

28 November 2024, 14:54

Calin Georgescu holds a finger beneath his eye
APTOPIX Romania Election. Picture: PA

Far-right populist Calin Georgescu unexpectedly won the first round in the election.

A top Romanian court has asked the official electoral authority to recount and verify all of the ballots cast in the first round of the presidential election.

The Constitutional Court in Bucharest voted unanimously in favour of the recount, and said the decision is final.

The Central Election Bureau is scheduled to meet on Thursday afternoon to discuss the request.

Calin Georgescu, a little-known, far-right populist, won the first round in the election, beating the incumbent prime minister.

Mr Georgescu, who ran independently, was due to face reformist Elena Lasconi in a December 8 run-off.

Pre-election surveys predicted he would win less than 10% of the vote.

A woman shouts next to a banner depicting a grumpy cat with a text that reads “I feel like barking” in Bucharest, Romania
Mr Georgescu’s unexpected win has sparked widespread protests (AP)

Mr Georgescu’s unexpected success has prompted nightly protests by people who are concerned with previous remarks he has made in praise of Romanian fascist and nationalist leaders as well as Russian President Vladimir Putin, and believe he poses a threat to democracy.

The vote recount was prompted by a complaint made by Cristian Terhes, a former presidential candidate of the Romanian National Conservative Party who obtained 1% of the vote, who alleged that the USR had urged people to vote before some diaspora polls had closed on Sunday, saying it violated electoral laws against campaign activities on polling day.

After the CCR’s ruling, Mr Terhes’ press office said in a statement on Facebook that the court ordered the recount “due to indications of fraud”, and alleged Mr Terhes had “presented evidence suggesting” that valid votes cast for Ludovic Orban = who had dropped out of the race but remained on the ballot – had been reassigned to Ms Lasconi.

It is the first time in Romania’s 35-year post-communist history that the country’s most powerful party, the PSD, did not have a candidate in the second round of a presidential race. Prime Minister Marcel Ciolacu resigned as PSD party leader after he narrowly lost to Ms Lasconi by just 2,740 votes.

Ms Lasconi criticised the CCR’s decision, saying “Extremism is fought by voting, not backstage games.

“What the CCR is trying to do now is absolutely horrific for a democratic country,” she said.

“I am here to defend democracy and call on the Central Election Bureau to handle the vote recount wisely. The law must be the same for all, not interpreted differently for some.”

Elena Lasconi with a Romanian flag
Elena Lasconi of Save Romania Union had been due to contest the run-off (AP)

Ms Lasconi, a former journalist, had told The Associated Press ahead of the first-round vote that she saw corruption as one of Romania’s biggest issues and vowed to tackle it.

“Romania deserves better, not a group of old politicians who use institutions strictly for their personal interest,” Ms Lasconi added on Thursday.

The CCR also rejected a request by another unsuccessful first-round candidate, Sebastian Popescu, to annul the ballot.

He alleged Mr Georgescu – who declared zero campaign spending – had not disclosed financing linked to a massive TikTok campaign, which many have credited for his success.

Mr Popescu, who got 0.15% in the first round, also alleged in his appeal that Mr Georgescu had used widespread disinformation and “defrauded the electoral law by illegally financing the entire electoral campaign, having support from outside the country’s borders, from state entities with the aim of destabilizing Romania”.

Mr Georgescu, who said a network of Romanian volunteers helped his campaign, has denied any wrongdoing.

“They want to ban the right of the Romanian people to speak freely,” he told a local news channel, adding the first-round vote “was perfectly democratic and legitimate”.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'