Police say suspect killed in police shootout in Munich was Austrian teenager

5 September 2024, 17:24

Police officers patrol after police fired shots at a suspicious person near the Israeli Consulate and a museum on the city’s Nazi-era history in Munich, Germany
Germany Shooting. Picture: PA

Authorities believed the teenager may have planned an attack on the Israeli Consulate in the German city.

A man killed in a shootout with police in Munich was an 18-year-old citizen of neighbouring Austria, police have said.

Authorities believed the teenager may have planned an attack on the Israeli Consulate in the German city.

The suspect was fatally wounded near the consulate and a museum on the city’s Nazi-era history after officers were alerted to a man carrying a gun in the Karolinenplatz area at around 9am on Thursday.

The suspect, who was carrying an old long gun with a bayonet attached to it, died at the scene.

Germany Shooting
Police officers block a street after the incident in Munich (Matthias Schrader/AP)

There was no indication that anyone else was hurt, spokesman Andreas Franken told reporters.

Five officers were at the scene at the time the gunfire erupted. Police quickly deployed around 500 officers to the area.

Police said the gunman was an 18-year-old from Austria, but investigators were still looking into his motive.

They did not give further details on the suspect, who left a car near the scene.

“We have to assume that an attack on the Israeli Consulate possibly was planned early today,” Bavaria’s top security official, state Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann, told reporters at the scene.

“It’s obvious that, if someone parks here within sight of the Israeli Consulate… then starts shooting, it most probably isn’t a coincidence.”

Police officers stand next to their vehicles after the incident in Munich
Police officers stand next to their vehicles after the incident in Munich (Matthias Schrader/AP)

Thursday was the 52nd anniversary of the attack by Palestinian militants on the Israeli delegation at the 1972 Munich Olympics, which ended with the death of 11 Israeli team members, a West German police officer and five of the assailants.

“There may be a connection — that must be cleared up,” Bavarian governor Markus Soder said.

Police said they had no indication of incidents at any other locations or of any other suspects.

In Austria’s Salzburg province, police said the suspect, an Austrian with Bosnian roots, had come to authorities’ attention in February 2023.

They said that, following a “dangerous threat” against fellow students coupled with bodily harm, he had also been accused of involvement in a terror organisation.

There was a suspicion that he had become religiously radicalised, was active online in that context and was interested in explosives and weapons, a police statement said, but prosecutors closed an investigation in April 2023.

However, authorities did ban him from owning weapons until at least the beginning of 2028. Police said he had not come to their attention since.

Germany Shooting
Police officers block a street after the incident in Munich (Matthias Schrader/AP)

Israel’s Foreign Ministry said the consulate in Munich was closed when the shooting occurred and that none of its staff had been hurt.

The nearby Munich Documentation Centre for the History of National Socialism, which opened in 2015 and explores the city’s past as the birthplace of the Nazi movement, also said all of its employees were unharmed.

Israeli President Isaac Herzog said he spoke with German counterpart Frank-Walter Steinmeier.

He wrote on the social media platform X, formerly Twitter, that “together we expressed our shared condemnation and horror” at the shooting.

Speaking at an unrelated news conference in Berlin, German Interior Minister Nancy Faeser described Thursday’s shooting as “a serious incident” but said she didn’t want to speculate on what had happened.

She reiterated that “the protection of Jewish and Israeli facilities has the highest priority”.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'

Virginia Giuffre warned it was a "very bad situation" after she claimed a school bus ploughed into her car

Virginia Giuffre was charged with breaching restraining order days before crash that 'left her with days to live'