North Korea raises spectre of nuclear strike as US carrier arrives in South

13 October 2023, 09:24

USS Ronald Reagan
South Korea Koreas Tensions. Picture: PA

The threat came a day after the USS Ronald Reagan and its battle group arrived at South Korea’s south-eastern port of Busan.

North Korea has lashed out at the arrival of a US aircraft carrier battle group in South Korea, calling it a provocation and again raising the spectre of using nuclear weapons to defend itself.

Emboldened by its advancing nuclear arsenal, North Korea has increasingly issued threats to use such weapons pre-emptively.

But the North is still outgunned by US and South Korean forces, and experts say it is unlikely to use its nuclear weapons first, though it will continue to upgrade those arms without returning to diplomacy for the time being.

The North’s latest nuclear threat came a day after the USS Ronald Reagan and its battle group arrived at South Korea’s south-eastern port of Busan, following a US-South Korean-Japanese naval exercise in international waters earlier this week.

South Korean defence officials said the carrier will be docked at Busan for five days as part of an agreement to increase the temporary deployments of powerful US military assets in response to the North’s growing nuclear programme.

On Friday, the North’s official Korean Central News Agency called the aircraft carrier’s arrival “an undisguised military provocation” that proves a US plan to attack North Korea is being realised.

It threatened to respond in line with its escalatory nuclear doctrine that authorises the pre-emptive use of nuclear weapons.

South Korea Koreas Tensions
The nuclear-powered aircraft carrier had been taking part in exercises (Kang Duck-chul/Yonhap via AP)

“The (North Korean) doctrine on the use of nuclear weapons already opened to public allows the execution of necessary action procedures in case a nuclear attack is launched against it or it is judged that the use of nuclear weapons against it is imminent,” the KCNA dispatch said.

North Korea’s “most powerful and rapid first strike will be given to the ‘extended deterrence’ means, used by the US to hallucinate its followers, and the bases of evil in the Korean peninsula and its vicinity”, KCNA added.

North Korea has argued it was forced to develop nuclear weapons to cope with what it calls the US and South Korean plots to invade. It has often made furious responses to the deployment of US strategic assets like aircraft carriers, long-range bombers and nuclear-powered submarines as well as US joint training exercises with South Korean forces.

Many experts say North Korea heightens tensions with its rivals to provide a pretext for expanding its nuclear arsenal and then uses the arms as leverage to wrest greater outside concessions.

Since last year, North Korea has conducted more than 100 missile tests in the name of responding to the expanded US-South Korean military drills. Washington and Seoul say their drills are defensive in nature.

Last year, North Korea adopted a law that stipulates a broad range of situations in which it can use nuclear weapons, including when it determines that its leadership faces imminent attack by hostile forces or when it needs to prevent an unspecified catastrophic crisis to its people and government.

The US and South Korean governments have repeatedly warned that any attempt by North Korea to use nuclear weapons would result in the end of the North’s government led by Kim Jong Un.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Friends of Prince Andrew say he's "unsurprised" Giuffre made the post

Prince Andrew 'not surprised' his accuser shared shock post saying she had 'four days to live'

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families