Week-long ‘megaquake’ preparedness campaign brought to an end in Japan

15 August 2024, 14:24

Officials from the Japan Meteorological Agency and cabinet office attend a press conference to announce the end of its week-long 'megaquake' drive
Japan Megaquake Advisory. Picture: PA

The Japan Meteorological Agency issued the country’s first-ever ‘megaquake advisory’ on August 8, warning of a magnitude eight earthquake or higher.

Government officials in Japan have ended a week-long information campaign urging caution and preparedness for a possible “megaquake” — an earthquake of magnitude eight or higher — striking the Pacific coast.

The announcement on Thursday came after no abnormal seismic activity was detected during the past week.

The Japan Meteorological Agency issued the country’s first-ever “megaquake advisory” on August 8, hours after a magnitude 7.1 earthquake struck off south-western Japan.

That quake happened on the western-most edge of a disaster-prone undersea trench called the Nankai Trough and the meteorological agency said the risk of another big one hitting somewhere along the trough was higher than normal.

The Government, in response, designated the past week as a period of “special caution” and preparedness in the region along the trough, calling on residents to be prepared to flee immediately.

A monitor shows a message that Japan’s government announced the end of its week-long drive for increased caution and preparedness for a possible megaquake
A monitor shows a message that Japan’s government announced the end of its week-long drive for increased caution and preparedness for a possible megaquake (Kyodo News via AP/PA)

Cabinet Office disaster response official Tsukasa Morikubo announced the end of the caution period as of Thursday evening, noting that seismologists detected no abnormal seismic activity around the Nankai Trough in the past week.

The end of the special caution period does not mean there is no risk of a megaquake, said Mr Morikubo, urging people to keep up their usual earthquake preparedness.

“A next major one can hit anytime, anywhere,” he added.

The Government last week called on more than 700 municipalities in 29 of the 47 Japanese prefectures to review their preparedness and evacuation plans in response to the August 8 advisory.

The advisory led to widespread confusion and fear even in a country where people are used to moderate temblors and affected travel plans during Japan’s mid-August holiday week.

Many rushed to stock up on emergency food and goods even in the capital region outside of the at-risk area.

Some coastal towns closed their beaches or cancelled annual fireworks, and train operators serving the area have reduced speed.

Disaster management officials at the Cabinet Office said the decision on whether to continue voluntary measures taken during the week is up to municipalities, transportation services and other businesses.

There is a 70% to 80% chance of a magnitude eight or nine quake associated with the Nankai Trough within the next 30 years, seismologists say, but its location or a timeframe are unknown.

The Nankai Trough, an undersea trench spanning about 500 miles along most of the southern half of Japan’s Pacific coast, has repeatedly caused devastating quakes and tsunamis.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'