WHO asks China for information on rise in illnesses and pneumonia clusters

23 November 2023, 11:04

People in masks
WHO China Pneumonia. Picture: PA

Clusters of undiagnosed pneumonia has been reported in children in northern China.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has made an official request to China for information about a potentially worrying spike in respiratory illnesses and clusters of pneumonia in children.

The UN health agency cited unspecified media reports and a global infectious disease monitoring service as reporting clusters of undiagnosed pneumonia in children in northern China.

In a statement late on Wednesday, the WHO said it was unclear whether those were linked to a rise in respiratory infections reported by Chinese authorities.

Outside scientists said the situation warranted close monitoring, but were not convinced that the recent spike in respiratory illnesses in China signalled the start of a new global outbreak.

The emergence of new diseases, particularly new flu strains or other viruses capable of triggering pandemics, typically starts with undiagnosed clusters of respiratory illness.

Both Sars and Covid-19 were first reported as unusual types of pneumonia.

The WHO noted that authorities at China’s National Health Commission on November 13 reported an increase in respiratory diseases, which they said was due to the lifting of Covid-19 lockdown restrictions.

Other countries also saw a jump in respiratory diseases such as respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) when pandemic restrictions ended.

The WHO said media reports about a week later reported clusters of undiagnosed pneumonia in children in northern China.

“It is unclear if these are associated with the overall increase in respiratory infections previously reported by Chinese authorities, or separate events,” the WHO said, adding that it had requested more details from China about currently circulating viruses and any increased burden on hospitals, via an international legal mechanism.

Dr David Heymann of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine said there was a likely background of seasonal respiratory infections.

“The challenge is to discern the outbreaks and determine the cause,” Dr Heymann said in a statement, adding that genetic sequencing and isolating cases would be critical. He led the WHO’s response to the 2002-2003 Sars outbreak.

Francois Balloux of University College London said the current wave of disease in China was likely due to respiratory illnesses like flu, RSV or a bacterial infection.

Unless new evidence emerges, there is no reason to suspect the emergence of a novel pathogen

Francois Balloux, University College London

He said China was probably experiencing a significant wave of childhood infections since this was the first winter since lockdown restrictions were lifted, which likely reduced children’s immunity to common bugs.

“Unless new evidence emerges, there is no reason to suspect the emergence of a novel pathogen,” Mr Balloux said.

The WHO said that northern China has reported a jump in influenza-like illnesses since mid-October compared to the previous three years.

It is rare for the UN health agency to publicly ask for more detailed information from countries, as such requests are typically made internally.

After Sars broke out in southern China in 2002, Beijing officials told doctors to hide patients, with some being driven around in ambulances while WHO scientists were visiting the country. That prompted the WHO to threaten to close its office in China.

Nearly two decades later, China stalled on sharing critical details about the coronavirus with the UN health agency after the new virus emerged in late 2019.

The WHO publicly applauded China’s commitment to stopping the virus – weeks before it started causing explosive epidemics worldwide.

“While WHO seeks this additional information, we recommend that people in China follow measures to reduce the risk of respiratory illness,” the agency said, advising people to get vaccinated, isolate if they are feeling ill, wear masks if necessary and get medical care as needed.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'

Virginia Giuffre warned it was a "very bad situation" after she claimed a school bus ploughed into her car

Virginia Giuffre was charged with breaching restraining order days before crash that 'left her with days to live'