Australia to follow US in withdrawing troops from Afghanistan

15 April 2021, 07:34

Australian soldiers
Australia Afghanistan. Picture: PA

Australian PM John Howard said the Afghanistan campaign had been worth the sacrifices made.

Australia will complete its troop withdrawal from Afghanistan in September in line with the United States and other allies, the prime minister said.

The country’s contribution to the Nato-led mission had once exceeded 15,000 personnel, but only 80 remain.

Scott Morrison did not specify a date for the withdrawal, but said: “In line with the United States and other allies and partners, the last remaining Australian troops will depart Afghanistan in September.

“The decision represents a significant milestone in Australia’s military history.”

US president Joe Biden plans to withdraw the last 2,500 troops from Afghanistan before the 20th anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks on the United States that triggered the campaign.

More than 39,000 Australian military personnel have served in Afghanistan since 2001, and 41 have been killed there.

Mr Morrison became emotional when reading the names of the Australian soldiers who had died between 2002 and 2014. He said the Afghanistan campaign was worth the sacrifice.

He said: “Freedom’s always worth it. Australians have always believed that. That’s why Australians who have serviced in our defence forces have always pulled on that uniform.

“Pulling on that uniform and serving under that flag, defending our values and standing up for them is what Australians do and those 41 brave men have exhibited that more than any other Australian can ever hope to.”

Nato Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said the alliance’s full withdrawal would be completed within months, but did not mention the September 11 anniversary.

Australia’s military legacy in Afghanistan has been tarnished in recent years with allegations of war crimes.

Last year, officials established an investigative agency to build criminal cases against Australian special forces suspected of committing crimes from 2005 until 2016.

A military report released in November found evidence that elite Australian troops unlawfully killed 39 Afghan prisoner, farmers and civilians. The report recommended criminal investigations into 19 current and former soldiers.

Benjamin Roberts-Smith, Australia’s most highly decorated member of the armed services when he left the Special Air Service in 2013, has been accused by former colleagues of unlawful treatment of prisoners including illegal killings.

The former corporal, who was awarded the Victoria Cross and the Medal for Gallantry for his service in Afghanistan, has denied any misconduct.

Australia became a staunch ally in the US-led war on terror.

In 2003, then-president George W Bush described then-prime minister John Howard as a “man of steel” after Mr Howard committed Australian combat troops to back US and British forces in the Iraq invasion.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Friends of Prince Andrew say he's "unsurprised" Giuffre made the post

Prince Andrew 'not surprised' his accuser shared shock post saying she had 'four days to live'

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families