Israeli troops recover remains of hostage and check identity of second body

8 January 2025, 18:24

Yosef AlZayadni
Israel Palestinians Hostages. Picture: PA

The bodies’ recovery comes as Israel and Hamas are considering a ceasefire deal that would free the hostages and halt the fighting in Gaza.

Israeli forces have recovered the body of a hostage held in Gaza, adding that it was identifying additional remains that could belong to another captive held in the war-torn enclave.

The military said it recovered the body of Yosef AlZayadni, 53, from an underground tunnel during an operation in the southern Gaza city of Rafah.

It said it found evidence that raised “serious concerns” for the life of Mr AlZayadni’s son Hamzah, who was also taken captive on October 7 2023, suggesting he may have died in captivity.

The body’s recovery comes as Israel and Hamas are considering a ceasefire deal that would free the hostages and halt the fighting in Gaza.

Israel Palestinians
Smoke rises following an Israeli air strike in the Gaza Strip (Tsafrir Abayov/AP)

Israel believes at least a third of the remaining 100 hostages are dead. However, Yosef and Hamzah AlZayadni were believed to still be alive before Wednesday’s announcement, and news about their fate could ramp up pressure on Israel to move ahead on a deal.

Yosef AlZayadni’s name was on a list of 34 hostages shared by a Hamas official with The Associated Press earlier this week that the militant group said were slated for release.

Israeli defence minister Israel Katz had said earlier on Wednesday that troops recovered the bodies of both Yosef and Hamzah AlZayadni.

Mr AlZayadni and his son, along with two of his other children, were taken captive during Hamas’s attack on southern Israel in October 2023, among 250 hostages snatched by the militant group.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu expressed sorrow and said in a statement he had “hoped and worked to bring back the four members of the family from Hamas captivity”.

Many families of hostages say the continuation of the war in Gaza puts the lives of the remaining hostages at risk. They have demanded throughout the conflict that Israel reach a deal with Hamas to free their loved ones.

Mr AlZayadni, who had 19 children, had worked at the dairy at southern Israel’s Kibbutz Holit for 17 years, said the Hostages Family Forum, a group representing the families of captives.

Mr AlZayadni was kidnapped with three of his children. His teenage children, Bilal and Aisha, were released in a week-long ceasefire deal in November.

The family were members of the Bedouin community, part of Israel’s Palestinian minority who have Israeli citizenship.

The traditionally nomadic community is particularly impoverished in Israel and has suffered from neglect and marginalisation. Palestinians make up some 20% of Israel’s 10 million population, and millions more live in Gaza and under Israeli military occupation in the West Bank.

Israeli military vehicles move inside the Gaza Strip
The war began on October 7 2023 (AP)

Eight members of Israel’s Bedouin minority were abducted in the October 7 2023 attacks.

Israel’s war against Hamas in Gaza has since killed over 45,800 Palestinians, according to the territory’s Health Ministry. The military says it has killed over 17,000 militants, without providing evidence.

Israel has destroyed vast areas of the impoverished territory and displaced some 90% of its population of 2.3 million, often multiple times.

Fresh Israeli air strikes killed at least five people in the Gaza Strip on Wednesday, including two infants and a woman, Palestinian medics said.

One strike hit a home in the central city of Deir al-Balah, killing two men and a woman, according to the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital, which received the casualties.

The hospital said it also received a four-month-old boy who was killed in a strike on his family house in the nearby built-up Bureij refugee camp.

An Associated Press journalist saw the four bodies in the hospital mortuary.

In Gaza City, an air strike hit a home in the Sheikh Radwan neighbourhood, killing a three-week-old baby, according to the Health Ministry’s emergency service.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'

Virginia Giuffre warned it was a "very bad situation" after she claimed a school bus ploughed into her car

Virginia Giuffre was charged with breaching restraining order days before crash that 'left her with days to live'