X begins charging new users to post as part of trial

18 October 2023, 09:24

Twitter logo
Twitter logo. Picture: PA

New users in New Zealand and the Philippines will be required to pay one US dollar a year in order to post to the site and reply to others.

X, the site formerly known as Twitter, has started to charge new users to post and reply to others on the platform as part of a new trial it says is to combat bot accounts.

The scheme will see new users who sign up in New Zealand or the Philippines be required to pay a one dollar a year subscription in order to use key features on the site.

Those who choose not to pay the fee will only be able to follow accounts and read posts.

Until now, the site’s X Premium subscription has been the app’s only paid-for option, giving those who choose to pay the monthly fee access to additional tools such as the ability to edit posts after sending them, and to see their replies to posts be promoted above other, non-paying users.

In a post to the platform, the X Support account said the trial was part of plans to reduce bot and spam accounts on the site, something owner Elon Musk has repeatedly said he wants to combat.

“This new test was developed to bolster our already successful efforts to reduce spam, manipulation of our platform and bot activity, while balancing platform accessibility with the small fee amount. It is not a profit driver,” the company said.

“And so far, subscription options have proven to be the main solution that works at scale.”

Last month, Mr Musk suggested that all users could eventually have to pay to use the site.

Since completing his 44 billion dollar (£36.1 billion) takeover of Twitter last year, the Tesla and SpaceX boss has seen revenue decline as advertisers fled the platform over concerns around his “absolute free speech” policy and reduction of content moderation, which has led the company to seek new forms of income and the introduction of paid subscription options.

By Press Association

More Technology News

See more More Technology News

A child’s hand pressing a key of a laptop keyboard

Charity ‘appalled’ at reports online safety laws could be cut for US trade deal

School children during a Year 5 class at a primary school

Education Secretary: More men needed in classrooms to be positive role models

Games controller

Cult classic Shenmue named most influential game of all time in Bafta poll

Alliance MP Sorcha Eastwood (PA)

Parents crying out for online regulation, MP Eastwood says

TikTok is set to be banned in the United States later this week unless a buyer emerges.

Amazon makes last-minute bid to buy TikTok as deadline looms

Nintendo Switch 2

Everything you need to know about the Nintendo Switch 2

The Nintendo Switch 2 will release on June 5, 2025

Nintendo Switch 2: Exciting reveal, but why is it more expensive here?

A Nintendo Switch 2

Nintendo confirms Switch 2 will launch on June 5

Tesla dealership damage

Tesla sales tumble to weakest since 2022 amid Musk backlash

The Nintendo Switch 2

Nintendo reveals release date for long-awaited Switch 2 console

Roblox has introduced a slew of new safety features.

Gaming platform Roblox adds slew of safety fixtures for parents to monitor their children’s accounts

Meta's decision to change its content policies was heavily criticised by online safety experts (PA)

Majority oppose Meta’s rollback of safety rules, charity says

A child's hands pressing laptop keys

Regulation and technology can help combat spread of online misogyny, expert says

Raspberry Pi 4 micro computer

Raspberry Pi profits tumble after supply shortages

An RNLI lifeboat brings a group of people thought to be migrants into Dover

UK to work with allies and social media to tackle people smuggling adverts

A child using an Apple iPhone smartphone

School curriculum resources to teach children about risks of in-game purchases