IFA tech trade show cancelled over ongoing Covid-19 ‘uncertainties’

19 May 2021, 13:34

The IFA technology trade show
IFA. Picture: PA

The convention said it would now aim to return in 2022.

One of Europe’s largest annual technology shows has cancelled its plans to hold an in-person event this year because of ongoing “uncertainties” around Covid-19.

The IFA trade show is normally held in Berlin each year and attracts around 200,000 visitors across its four days.

A scaled-down version of the convention took place in 2020 and mostly online, but plans to hold an in-person show in 2021 have been called off, with organisers confirming the event will instead return in 2022.

Messe Berlin, which hosts the event, and organisers gfu Consumer & Home Electronics GmbH said the pace of global vaccine rollouts and the resumption of international travel had not happened as quickly as they had hoped, while concerns also remained over the spread of new Covid-19 variants.

“Unfortunately, the latest public health developments introduced too much risk into everybody’s planning for the event,” chairman of the organiser’s supervisory board Kai Hillebrandt said.

“There simply are now too many uncertainties. Therefore, right now it has become near impossible for anyone to responsibly plan their participation in any trade show.”

A number of other major technology events have either postponed their conferences or moved entirely online during the pandemic, including Apple’s launch of the iPhone 12 last year and trade show CES.

“We did not take this decision lightly. IFA Berlin is arguably the most important event of the year for brands and retailers alike,” Messe Berlin chief executive Martin Ecknig said.

“IFA Berlin connects our industry with trade visitors, media and real consumers like no other event. However, the health and safety of everybody has to be absolutely paramount.

“The efforts to contain this pandemic – from the rollout of vaccination programs to the resumption of international travel – did not happen at the pace we had hoped for. Given these developments, this difficult and disappointing decision was inevitable.”

IFA said it hoped the show would return as a “full-scale live event” in 2022.

Another annual technology trade show, Mobile World Congress (MWC) still plans to go ahead with reduced visitor numbers in Barcelona in June.

Organisers there have insisted they will have robust health and safety measures in place, including regular testing and daily temperature checks for all attendees, alongside social distancing, increased ventilation and other measures.

By Press Association

More Technology News

See more More Technology News

Molly Russell

Meta and Pinterest understood to have made donations to Molly Russell charity

TikTok is set to be banned in the United States later this week unless a buyer emerges.

Trump grants TikTok another extension, avoiding US ban, as he says deal to sell app is 'very close'

A TikTok logo on a phone

Q&A: Will TikTok be banned in the US this weekend?

TikTok logo on a phone

Trump says TikTok deal ‘very close’ as deadline looms

A child’s hand pressing a key of a laptop keyboard

Charity ‘appalled’ at reports online safety laws could be cut for US trade deal

School children during a Year 5 class at a primary school

Education Secretary: More men needed in classrooms to be positive role models

Games controller

Cult classic Shenmue named most influential game of all time in Bafta poll

Alliance MP Sorcha Eastwood (PA)

Parents crying out for online regulation, MP Eastwood says

TikTok is set to be banned in the United States later this week unless a buyer emerges.

Amazon makes last-minute bid to buy TikTok as deadline looms

Nintendo Switch 2

Everything you need to know about the Nintendo Switch 2

The Nintendo Switch 2 will release on June 5, 2025

Nintendo Switch 2: Exciting reveal, but why is it more expensive here?

A Nintendo Switch 2

Nintendo confirms Switch 2 will launch on June 5

Tesla dealership damage

Tesla sales tumble to weakest since 2022 amid Musk backlash

The Nintendo Switch 2

Nintendo reveals release date for long-awaited Switch 2 console

Roblox has introduced a slew of new safety features.

Gaming platform Roblox adds slew of safety fixtures for parents to monitor their children’s accounts

Meta's decision to change its content policies was heavily criticised by online safety experts (PA)

Majority oppose Meta’s rollback of safety rules, charity says