US Government proposes forcing Google to sell Chrome to break-up tech empire

21 November 2024, 10:14

Google shown on a smartphone
Google Stock. Picture: PA

The Department of Justice suggestion comes after a judge ruled earlier this year the company has run a monopoly.

The United States Government has proposed forcing Google to sell off its Chrome web browser as part of measures to break up a monopoly a judge has said the company currently operates in online searches.

According to court papers filed by the US Department of Justice (DoJ), the proposals call for Google to sell its industry-leading Chrome web browser, and impose restrictions designed to prevent its Android smartphones software from favouring Google’s own search engine.

The proposals also call for Google to be banned from signing multibillion-pound deals with smartphone makers such as Apple to make Google Search the default search engine on those companies’ devices, including the iPhone, and to force Google to share data it collects from its search engine with its rivals in an effort to boost competition in the sector.

In its recommendations, the DoJ said: “The playing field is not level because of Google’s conduct, and Google’s quality reflects the ill-gotten gains of an advantage illegally acquired.

“The remedy must close this gap and deprive Google of these advantages.”

(The) Department of Justice chose to push a radical interventionist agenda that would harm Americans and America’s global technology leadership

Kent Walker, Google

Google’s president of global affairs and chief legal officer, Kent Walker, called the proposals “staggering” and “extreme”, warning they would “break” many of Google’s products and endanger the security and privacy of US users as a result.

“(The) DOJ chose to push a radical interventionist agenda that would harm Americans and America’s global technology leadership,” he said.

“DOJ’s wildly overbroad proposal goes miles beyond the court’s decision.

“It would break a range of Google products – even beyond Search – that people love and find helpful in their everyday lives.”

The recommendations are in response to a landmark ruling in August by US district judge Amit Mehta, who branded Google as a monopolist.

Court hearings on the proposed remedies are scheduled to begin in April, with a final decision on the issue expected by next summer – although the case could be further prolonged should Judge Mehta side with the DoJ’s recommendations, with Google then almost certain to appeal.

It also remains unclear if attitudes inside the DoJ will change – and a less strident approach is sought – after President-elect Donald Trump takes office in January.

Mr Trump is widely expected to replace Jonathan Kanter, who was appointed by President Joe Biden to lead the department’s antitrust division.

Google is expected to lodge its own proposed remedies before the end of the year.

By Press Association

More Technology News

See more More Technology News

A child’s hand pressing a key of a laptop keyboard

Charity ‘appalled’ at reports online safety laws could be cut for US trade deal

School children during a Year 5 class at a primary school

Education Secretary: More men needed in classrooms to be positive role models

Games controller

Cult classic Shenmue named most influential game of all time in Bafta poll

Alliance MP Sorcha Eastwood (PA)

Parents crying out for online regulation, MP Eastwood says

TikTok is set to be banned in the United States later this week unless a buyer emerges.

Amazon makes last-minute bid to buy TikTok as deadline looms

Nintendo Switch 2

Everything you need to know about the Nintendo Switch 2

The Nintendo Switch 2 will release on June 5, 2025

Nintendo Switch 2: Exciting reveal, but why is it more expensive here?

A Nintendo Switch 2

Nintendo confirms Switch 2 will launch on June 5

Tesla dealership damage

Tesla sales tumble to weakest since 2022 amid Musk backlash

The Nintendo Switch 2

Nintendo reveals release date for long-awaited Switch 2 console

Roblox has introduced a slew of new safety features.

Gaming platform Roblox adds slew of safety fixtures for parents to monitor their children’s accounts

Meta's decision to change its content policies was heavily criticised by online safety experts (PA)

Majority oppose Meta’s rollback of safety rules, charity says

A child's hands pressing laptop keys

Regulation and technology can help combat spread of online misogyny, expert says

Raspberry Pi 4 micro computer

Raspberry Pi profits tumble after supply shortages

An RNLI lifeboat brings a group of people thought to be migrants into Dover

UK to work with allies and social media to tackle people smuggling adverts

A child using an Apple iPhone smartphone

School curriculum resources to teach children about risks of in-game purchases