Squatters take over Marco Pierre White's Leicester Square restaurant and padlock doors months after it was shut down

17 April 2024, 09:42 | Updated: 17 April 2024, 09:57

Squatters have taken over Marco Pierre White's Leicester Square restaurant
Squatters have taken over Marco Pierre White's Leicester Square restaurant. Picture: LBC/Alamy

By Asher McShane

Squatters have taken over one of the West End’s biggest restaurant sites after it was permanently shut down by Marco Pierre White’s hospitality business.

Listen to this article

Loading audio...

The group padlocked the doors and put up a sign warning they cannot be evicted without a court order as the building was vacant. 

It comes after TV chef Gordon Ramsay's Grade-II listed York & Albany hotel and Gastropub in Regent's Park was also taken over by a group of squatters.

Mr White’s “steak, pizza and gin house” on Leicester Square was shut after a period of tough trading as many restaurants struggled to survive after the pandemic.

It s opened in late 2021and was billed as the TV chef’s first return to the West End in a decade.

Neighbouring businesses said the squatters had been 'causing us some trouble'
Neighbouring businesses said the squatters had been 'causing us some trouble'. Picture: LBC

Marco was not directly involved in the 600 cover venue. It was run by Black & White Hospitality, the company he set up with entrepreneur Nick Taplin.

The manager of Filipino fast food restaurant Jollibee next door told the Telegraph that ‘up to 400 people’ had taken over the whole building.

She told the newspaper: “The council regularly visits us. When they were here last week I told them they need to look into Mr White's because it is causing us some trouble.

The doors of the restaurant have been papered over
The doors of the restaurant have been papered over. Picture: LBC

“The council came back today and told me I was correct as they found 400 people there.”

Yesterday, a group of squatters who moved into Gordon Ramsay's £13 million London pub said they had been been served papers, forcing them to cancel their soup kitchen that they were running from the establishment.

The Camden Art Cafe took over the York & Albany pub in Camden, north London, earlier this week, plastering a notice on the front of the boozer to claim it was a legal occupation of the building.

The group of so-called "autonomous" activists say they are "committed to providing free food and creating a space for the community".

But the radical group say they have now been served legal papers and have been forced to cancel the opening of their community cafe on the premises today.

"Apologies to everyone who was going to come along today. Papers served, cafe cancelled!," the group wrote in a statement on their Instagram story.

Exterior view of the York And Albany gastropub near Regent's Park, owned by Gordon Ramsay
Exterior view of the York And Albany gastropub near Regent's Park, owned by Gordon Ramsay. Picture: Alamy

Read More: Gordon Ramsay faces renovation setback on £7m home as council rejects chef's bid for new security gates

Read More: Prince William announces return to public duties after Kate's cancer diagnosis

It comes after reporters attempted to question the activists over the weekend, who in turn ran away.

Ramsay was reportedly in the process of handing over the lease of the building to new tennants when the squatter group moved in.

The group explaoined in a previous Instagram post that they were occupying the building to make it available for "victims of gentrification and parasitic projects like HS2".

"We provide free food, drinks, and a space to display their art without the ridiculous red-tape that galleries require people to jump over. We believe all of us and our art deserve dignity," they said in a statement Sunday.

"Camden is a borough with one of the biggest wealth disparities in London, so it seems only fitting that £13 million properties that most locals would never be able to afford to visit should be opened up to all."

The gang are said to be "professional squatters" and had targeted the venue after it closed.

Ramsay, 57, was due to agree a multi-million pound lease with new partners at the luxury eatery and hotel when the raiders broke in.

The TV chef has had a troubled history with the venue - after he was embroiled in a legal battle back in 2015 over the 19th century building.

Gordon Ramsay in Los Angeles, December 13, 2023
Gordon Ramsay in Los Angeles, December 13, 2023. Picture: Alamy
A legal notice attached by squatters at the York And Albany, which has been occupied by squatters
A legal notice attached by squatters at the York And Albany, which has been occupied by squatters. Picture: Alamy

Read More: New X users face paying ‘small fee’ to combat ‘relentless onslaught of bots’, Elon Musk suggests

Read More: 'Britain’s strictest headteacher' wins legal challenge over school prayer ban as Muslim student's case dismissed

A source previously told The Sun: “They’ve glued tight all the locks and are cooking up a storm in the kitchen, which is especially galling for Gordon.

"Some are crashing on sofas, but others have taken over the beautiful bedrooms. God knows the damage and filth.

“Gordon called the police on Wednesday and is trying to secure an eviction notice, but it’s proving an absolute nightmare.

“It’s increasingly hard to forcibly remove these people. Gordon is at the end of his tether. Not surprisingly, a few choice words have been said.”

More Latest News

See more More Latest News

Man, 23, who gouged out pensioner's eyes before beating him to death with his own walking stick locked up indefinitely

Man, 23, who gouged pensioner's eyes out before beating him to death with his own walking stick locked up indefinitely

Traders work in their booth on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)

UK stock market plunges as FTSE 100 suffers worst trading losses in five years amid Trump tariff chaos

The scene at Beckenham Place Park

London park evacuated as police search for teenage boy who went missing while swimming in lake

Tommy Robinson pictured last year

Tommy Robinson in bid for freedom with appeal against contempt of court jail sentence after libelling teen refugee

Layla Allen died at the scene

'Cherished beyond words': Family pay tribute to 'shining light' 13-year-old killed in Merseyside house fire

Russell Brand

Russell Brand breaks silence after actor and comedian charged with rape and sexual assaults

White House weighs in to support ‘censored’ anti-abortion activists in Britain

White House looking to support ‘censored’ anti-abortion activists in Britain

Sean "Diddy" Combs.

Sean 'Diddy' Combs charged with two further counts of sex trafficking

XL Bully (FILE)

XL Bully on the loose after drive-by shooting in Sheffield as police issue urgent safety warning

Peter Serafinowicz and Sarah Alexander have split.

Amandaland star and comedian Peter Serafinowicz splits from actress wife after 23 years

Russel Brand

Comedian and actor Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assaults

Prison nurse, 27, suspended over 'fling with drug-dealing killer' in England's worst jail

Prison nurse, 27, suspended over 'fling with drug-dealing killer' in England's worst jail

This image provided by NASA shows Nick Hague, right, Suni Williams, and Butch Wilmore. (NASA via AP)

Stranded NASA astronauts reveal they were almost trapped in space 'forever' after horror malfunction

Donald Trump demands France 'free Marine Le Pen'

Donald Trump demands France 'free Marine Le Pen' after far-right leader found guilty of embezzlement in 'witch hunt'

At a hearing on Friday, Mr Justice Jay was asked to decide the "natural and ordinary" meaning of the statements ahead of a potential trial.

Chris Eubank Jr brands boxing promoter Frank Warren a 'scumbag' - as judge urges pair to 'mediate' ahead of trial

Tunnocks Tea Cakes cleared for RAF use.

Tunnock's Tea Cakes pass RAF test after being banned for 60 years