'SAS on standby' during armed police revolt as officers stand down over Chris Kaba murder charge

25 September 2023, 11:30 | Updated: 25 September 2023, 11:48

A number of Met police armed officers have handed back their guns in protest
A number of Met police armed officers have handed back their guns in protest. Picture: Alamy/Family Handout

By Asher McShane

Special forces and regular soldiers are on standby after a revolt by armed police.

Listen to this article

Loading audio...

The army could be drafted in to cover for a contingent of Met armed officers who handed back their guns after a colleague was charged with the murder of rapper Chris Kaba.

Scotland Yard confirmed today that “a number of officers have taken the decision to step back from armed duties while they consider their position.”

The force said the Met still has a ‘significant’ firearms capability and weapons officers were still on site across London, at Parliament and at airports.

“Armed forces personnel will not be used in a routine policing capacity,” Scotland Yard said.

Read more: Police don’t want to live outside the law, says Met’s former 'top marksman' amid rebellion over fatal shooting

Chris Kaba was shot and killed in south London in 2022
Chris Kaba was shot and killed in south London in 2022. Picture: Family handout

It comes after Home Secretary Suella Braverman gave her public backing to marksmen and women who have to make “split-second decisions” and “mustn’t fear ending up in the dock for carrying out their duties”.

A number of special forces troops, including members of the SAS, are on standby in barracks waiting for news as to whether they will be deployed, LBC understands.

The force's commissioner Sir Mark Rowley welcomed a review into the situation, which Home Secretary Suella Braverman said she had ordered to ensure armed officers "have the confidence to do their job".

The scene in Streatham where Chris Kaba was shot dead
The scene in Streatham where Chris Kaba was shot dead. Picture: Alamy

The Scotland Yard chief said armed officers needed "sufficient legal protection to enable them to do their job".

Rishi Sunak said it "wouldn't be right" for him to comment on the case of the unnamed officer charged over the shooting of unarmed rapper Mr Kaba, 24, who was killed in September last year in Streatham Hill, south London.

But the Conservative Party leader said the guidance to firearms patrols needed to be reviewed to "make sure it is robust" and that it commands both public and police confidence.

Nick Ferrari speaks to former police marksman Tony Long

It comes after a Met Police officer appeared in court on Thursday in relation to the death of Mr Kaba, who died after being shot through an Audi car windscreen.

The officer accused of his murder is named only as NX121 after a district judge granted an anonymity order.

Since the charge was announced, more than 100 officers have reportedly handed in permits allowing them to carry weapons, prompting the Met to turn to the military for assistance.

The Prime Minister, speaking to broadcasters during a visit to a community centre in Broxbourne, Hertfordshire, on Monday, said: "Our firearms officers do an incredibly difficult job.

"They are making life or death decisions in a split second to keep us safe and they deserve our gratitude for their bravery.

"Now it is important when they are using these legal powers that they do so with clarity and they have certainty about what they are doing, especially given the lethality they are using."

In an open letter to the Home Secretary published on Sunday, Met boss Sir Mark suggested legal changes over the way self-defence is interpreted in police misconduct cases.

He also put forward the introduction of a criminal standard of proof for unlawful killing in inquests and inquiries, along with changes to the threshold at which the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) can launch an investigation.

Sir Mark said: "There is a concern on the part of firearms officers that even if they stick to the tactics and training they have been given, they will face years of protracted legal proceedings which impact on their personal wellbeing and that of their family.

"While previous reviews have been announced, they have not delivered change.

"Carrying a firearm is voluntary. We rely on officers who are willing to put themselves at risk on a daily basis to protect the public from dangerous criminals including terrorists.

"Officers need sufficient legal protection to enable them to do their job and keep the public safe, and the confidence that it will be applied consistently and without fear or favour."

Sir Mark called for time limits for IOPC and Crown Prosecution Service processes to "reduce the punitive impact" on officers facing lengthy investigations.

He also suggested that more contextual information about incidents could be released "to ensure public confidence in policing".

The Metropolitan Police Federation, the group which represents officers from the rank of constable to chief inspector in the Met, offered Sir Mark its support following the publication of his letter.

The federation said: "Colleagues should not fear for their liberty and livelihoods for simply doing the job the public expect of us."

Ministers have looked to assure that the public will be kept safe after the armed forces were put on standby to assist the Met.

The force has confirmed that the Ministry of Defence has agreed to a request to provide it with counter-terrorism support "should it be needed" as a "contingency option" if an "appropriate policing response was not available".

The Met said armed forces personnel will not be used in a "routine policing capacity" under the arrangement.

Housing minister Rachel Maclean told LBC: "They will be doing everything they can - these are trained professionals, and their job is to put themselves into harm's way in the line of duty."

She denied that armed officers were stepping away from protecting the public, telling Sky News their decision to hand back their firearms permits was likely to have been taken "reluctantly".

More Latest News

See more More Latest News

Friends of Prince Andrew say he's "unsurprised" Giuffre made the post

Prince Andrew 'not surprised' his accuser shared shock post saying she had 'four days to live'

Westminster Council is offering staff an online ‘privilege walk’ quiz

'Britain’s wokest council' tells staff to take quiz to check their privilege

Exclusive
Wayne Newman, a pest control expert from OP Kill Pest Control.

'It's a losing battle': On the road with Birmingham's pest control as they tackle city's rat infestation amid bin strike

South Korea's impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol

South Korea president Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office as impeachment upheld over martial law declaration

NHS hospitals and buildings are plagued by rats, cockroaches, silverfish and other pests, results from the latest staff survey have revealed.

Hospital of horrors: NHS 'plagued by rats and cockroaches' as well as 'sewage leaks and crumbling ceilings'

Sadiq Khan will get new powers to overrule councils that block pubs and clubs opening late

Boost for London's nightlife as Khan goes to war with local councils that block pubs and clubs opening late

Bruce Springsteen

Bruce Springsteen to put out seven 'lost' albums of unreleased songs

Val Kilmer & Tom Cruise in Top Gun

Tom Cruise breaks silence on 'dear friend' Val Kilmer's death with emotional tribute to Top Gun co-star

Virginia Giuffre

Woman driving Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre during crash that left her with 'four days to live' breaks silence

Prescot, Merseyside

Girl, 13, dies in horror Merseyside house fire as five children escape unharmed

File photo of a Harris hawk

Dive-bombing hawk that terrorised village with string of blood-soaked attacks finally caught by local hero

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

New images show the moment the two ships collided.

New images show moment of North Sea crash as investigation reveals neither ship had a 'dedicated lookout'

Washington, DC, USA. 15 Apr 2017. A balloon caricature of President Donald Trump appears at the Tax March protest near the U.S. Capitol.

Buy US chlorinated chicken in return for lower tariffs, Trump tells Britain

From jeans to jet fuel and firearms to whiskey: Britain unveils lengthy list of US items facing tariffs

From jeans to jet fuel and firearms to whisky: Britain unveils lengthy list of US items facing tariffs

Forensic investigators at Milton Keynes train station after a man was shot dead by armed police officers.

Knifeman shot dead by police in Milton Keynes after moving 'at speed' towards officers named for first time