Greek coastguard caused dozens of deaths in Mediterranean - including nine who were deliberately thrown in water, investigation finds

17 June 2024, 10:21 | Updated: 17 June 2024, 10:46

x
The Greek coastguard has been responsible for the deaths of dozens of migrants in the Mediterranean, including nine who were intentionally thrown into the water, an investigation has found. Picture: Getty/Alamy

By Flaminia Luck

The Greek coastguard has been responsible for the deaths of dozens of migrants in the Mediterranean, including nine who were intentionally thrown into the water, an investigation has found.

Listen to this article

Loading audio...

More than 40 people attempting to cross on small boats are said to have died due to the Greek coastguard's activities, which has included forcing punctured vessels to go back out to sea.

The nine fatalities are believed to have died after they were deliberately pushed into the water by coastguard officers, according to eyewitnesses which icludes those from NGOs, local media and the Turkish coastguard, which often receive migrants turned away by Greece.

The Greek government has been previously accused of forced returns - pushing people back towards Turkey, where they have crossed from, which is illegal under international law.

The Greek coastguard told the BBC investigation it strongly rejects all accusations of illegal activities.

A Greek coastguard vessel approaches the port of Preveza, northwestern Greece
The Greek coastguard strongly rejects all accusations of illegal activities. Picture: Alamy

The investigation calculated the number of incidents which allege deaths occurred as a result of the Greek coastguard's actions.

The 15 incidents analysed - dated May 2020-23 - resulted in 43 deaths.

In five of the incidents, migrants said they were thrown directly into the sea by the Greek authorities. In four of those cases they explained how they had landed on Greek islands but were hunted down.

In several other incidents, migrants said they had been put onto inflatable rafts without motors which then deflated, or appeared to have been punctured.

One Cameroonian man said he was hunted by Greek authorities after landing on the island of Samos in September 2021.

"We had barely docked, and the police came from behind," he told us.

"There were two policemen dressed in black, and three others in civilian clothes. They were masked, you could only see their eyes," he told the investigation.

Another man, from Somalia said he had been caught by the Greek army on arrival on the island of Chios, who then handed him to the Greek coastguard.

He said the coastguard had tied his hands behind his back, before dropping him into the water.

"They threw me zip-tied in the middle of the sea. They wanted me to die," he said.

Read more: New ‘heartbreaking’ videos show close up of ‘3rd or 4th attempt’ as police ram 4x4 into terrified cow

Protesters march during a protest to mark a year after one of the worst migrant boat tragedies
Protesters march during a protest to mark a year after one of the worst migrant boat tragedies. Picture: Alamy

The investigation comes just days after hundreds of demonstrators rallied in Athens on Friday to mark the one-year anniversary of a shipwreck that killed hundreds more migrants off Greece, demanding answers about the causes of the disaster and the fate of relatives.

In the incident with the highest loss of life - in September 2022 - a boat carrying 85 migrants ran into trouble near the Greek island of Rhodes when its motor cut out.

Read more: Defence secretary says Tories are the ‘underdogs’ with weeks to go until General Election

More Latest News

See more More Latest News

Breaking
Breaking News

M5 closed in both directions after body found on motorway, sparking police investigation

Lucy

Expert panel claims 'no criminal offences committed' in Lucy Letby case after bombshell new report into baby deaths

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

Full runners and riders confirmed for Saturday's Grand National

Grand National 2025 runners and riders confirmed as full 34-horse line-up revealed

Exclusive
Sophie Bannister and April-Levi Whalley have posted celebratory social media posts after dodging jail for drug smuggling

'Can't wait to enjoy our summer': Drug smuggling best friends celebrate after dodging jail over suitcases full of cannabis

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

Uriah Rennie is 'learning to walk again'.

Premier League's first black referee, Uriah Rennie, 'learning to walk again' after he was left paralysed

Two people died in the explosion in Newcastle

Man, 33, admits manslaughter and drugs charge after devastating house explosion in Newcastle left two dead

j

Glamorous drug smuggling friends found guilty of bringing cannabis to UK - after New York 'shopping trip'

Greenpeace activists scaled a building outside the Foreign Office

Greenpeace activists scale Foreign Office building over signing of ocean treaty

Spain celebrates winning the FIFA Women's World Cup 2023 in Australia

UK poised to host 2035 Women’s World Cup

Lucy Letby

Lawyer for killer nurse Lucy Letby to hand over 'fresh' evidence he hopes will clear her name

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

The millionaire businesswoman has called for an urgent safety review by TfL after the emergency Help Point failed in a central London station.

Millionaire businesswoman abandoned on Tube platform by staff after 'traumatising' assault

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'