Police set to issue TV appeal as they hunt for clues about missing teenager Jay Slater

26 June 2024, 14:31

Police hunting for Jay Slater have released new footage
Police hunting for Jay Slater have released new footage. Picture: Social media

By Asher McShane

Police in Tenerife are planning a TV appeal for information about Jay Slater as they keep up their search efforts after his disappearance ten days ago.

Listen to this article

Loading audio...

Search teams are scouring the Rural de Reno National park as they try to find the 19-year-old holidaymaker.

Police are now reportedly considering a TV appeal which could even involve his parents Debbie Duncan and Warren Slater, who have both flown to the island.

A source told The Sun: “Although it’s still entirely possible Jay got disoriented and went missing after getting lost, cops aren’t ruling anything out. 

“They are open-minded to other scenarios which is why they are considering an appeal that would speak directly to people living locally who might have vital information. 

“It’s a race against time and although no resources are being cut back, the next few days are absolutely crucial.”

Spanish police meanwhile have told UK police forces that they don’t need their help.

A Lancashire constabulary statement said: "Whilst this case falls outside the jurisdiction of UK policing, we have made an offer of support to the Guardia Civil to see if they need any additional resources.

"They have confirmed that at this time they are satisfied that they have the resources they need, but that offer remains open and they will contact us should that position change."

Jay, from Lancashire, has been missing on the Spanish island of Tenerife for over a week.

His disappearance has sparked a huge manhunt, with police combing the Canary island for him - but with no success so far.

Officers posted a 35-second clip documenting the search on social media.

Read more: Jay Slater 'spotted watching Euros matches', local mayor claims, as 'several witnesses' spot missing British teen

Read more: Missing Jay Slater's 'last sighting' in Tenerife: Family share CCTV of mystery figure believed to be teen

"We continue with the search for the young British man missing in Tenerife," police said.

"Different Guardia Civil units from the area participate, joined by agents, with their dogs specialised in searching for people, from Madrid."

Jay's family are out on the island and have shared a grainy CCTV still that they believe could be the missing teenager. A local mayor also said residents claimed to have spotted Jay several times, including watching Euro 2024 football matches.

His mother Debbie Duncan and her son's friends flew out to Tenerife to assist in the search efforts, alongside his ex-girlfriend Jessica Ingham.

Debbie Duncan with Jay Slater
Debbie Duncan with Jay Slater. Picture: Facebook

Speaking ahead of the search on Tuesday, Ms Duncan said: “It's been a week now and it's been awful. I've barely slept and I'm at my wits' end.

“The Spanish police are doing a good job and we are getting updated from the consulate so we just put our faith in them.”

Speaking to MailOnline, she continued: “I know people in the UK have come forward as well who were at the festival and they are giving details of what they know but I'm not being told about that.

“Jay's very good friends from home have also been over and have put up posters. They are good kids and like me just want him home.”

Friends of the missing British teenager also blasted theories circulating online about his disappearance, as they told the outlet: “Imagine if he was your son or brother, think about his poor mum.”

A search team near the last known location of Jay Slater, near to the village of Masca, Tenerife
A search team near the last known location of Jay Slater, near to the village of Masca, Tenerife. Picture: Alamy

Jay’s friend and ex-girlfriend Jessica, 19, said: “What really gets me is all these online detectives who have got nothing better to do than spread malicious rumours and gossip, it's not helping the situation.

“People need to remember he is a missing person, and his mother is absolutely sick with worry and she doesn't need to read all kinds of rubbish that are being written about him.”

Spanish police have faced criticism from Jay's friends over the way they have dealt with the search.

One friend, Lucy Law, who flew out with the teenager, accused them of “not doing a good enough job”.

But officers have said they are "totally focused" on tracking the 19-year-old down and will continue to prioritise that, despite facing criticism.

It comes after Lancashire Police said they had offered to help out but were rejected by Spanish police.

More Latest News

See more More Latest News

The Nintendo Switch 2 will release on June 5, 2025

Nintendo Switch 2: Exciting reveal, but why is it more expensive here?

BRITAIN-FUNERAL-POLICE

Funeral director charged with 64 offences including fraud, theft and preventing 30 lawful burials

swallow-tail

Brits urged to 'stop mowing lawns' amid 'national butterfly crisis' with more than half of species in decline

Kyle Kitchen, 38, murdered eight-week-old Primose Kane

Dad who murdered daughter by violently shaking her as baby is jailed for life

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Douglas Clifton Brown, 56, tried to kill his estranged wife

Old Etonian who tried to murder his estranged partner by throwing her down a 240ft well is jailed for 24 years

Kaliyah Coa, 11, was reportedly down at the water when she was 'swept away'

Pictured: Missing 11-year-old 'swept away' while paddling in the River Thames

Hot cross buns could be scarce this Easter as farmers continue to protest against Rachel Reeves' 'tractor tax'.

Hot cross bun shortage looms as farmers escalate 'tractor tax' protests

Tanesha Melbourne-Blake was shot

Teenage girl shot dead during gang 'ride-out' following social media humiliation

Mother and two children struck and killed by a vehicle in Brooklyn, New York: driver operating suspended license

Brit mum and daughters, eight and five, killed in crash by driver who said 'I have the devil in me'

Deborah Gosling, donor Julie Wild’s twin sister, greets Corinne Hutton in an emotional first meeting

Hand transplant recipient hugs donor's sister in emotional first meeting

One Newcastle Fan proved his devotion to his club by getting a QR code tattoo - linking to a video of their cup final goal.

Newcastle Fan has QR code tattooed on leg linking to video of cup final goal - but rival fans work to get clip taken down

Fran Jones collapsed on court during a match in Colombia

British tennis star Fran Jones collapses during her match and leaves court in wheelchair

CCTV shows moment plain-clothed police officers in Exeter swoop in on alleged shoplifter

New way to tackle shoplifters introduced in Devon after huge rise in thefts - with businesses urged to report crimes

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'

The couple said they had previously been banned from entering Cowley Hill Primary School, in Borehamwood, Hertfordshire.

WhatsApp row messages revealed that led to police raid on school parents home