Downing Street accuses Greece of focusing on 'ancient grievances' in row over Elgin Marbles

28 November 2023, 12:49 | Updated: 28 November 2023, 16:00

Downing Street said Greece was reviving ancient grievances over the Elgin Marbles
Downing Street said Greece was reviving ancient grievances over the Elgin Marbles. Picture: Downing Street/Alamy

By Kit Heren

Downing Street has accused Greece of focusing on "ancient grievances" in the deepening row over the Elgin Marbles.

Listen to this article

Loading audio...

Greece has called for the famous Elgin Marbles, which were taken from the Parthenon in Athens hundreds of years ago, to be returned to Greece from the British Museum.

The British government has said that the marbles will not be returned, and the issue is "not a pressing concern" to the British or Greek people. A law forbids the British Museum from giving away items in its collection.

It comes after the government was accused of snubbing Greece after cancelling a meeting with Kyriakos Mitsotakis following the Greek Prime Minister's comments on the famous artefacts.

Downing Street claimed the Greek government had "provided reassurances" that they would not use the visit of Mr Mitsotakis as a public platform. Greece are understood to have denied making these reassurances.

Read more: 'It's not a snub, we offered them Oliver Dowden': Minister defends Sunak amid Elgin Marbles row

Read more: 'They are coming home': Greek official claims Elgin Marbles will return to Athens by end of year

The Elgin Marbles
The Elgin Marbles. Picture: Alamy

"Those assurances was not adhered to," a spokesperson said. "We want to focus on challenges that affect people right now rather than ancient grievances."

Discussions over returning the marbles would have "cast a shadow" on the other meetings due to be held and it was "best to have those in private", they said.

Downing Street also ruled out loaning the marbles to Greece, "without Greece accepting the Museum are the legal owners" adding that the issue was "long settled".

Mr Mitsotakis had been due to meet Rishi Sunak on Tuesday. But the meeting was axed after he called for the Marbles to be returned to Greece from the British Museum.

Transport Secretary Mark Harper on the Elgin Marbles

A spokesman for his office said: "The prime minister is disappointed that Prime Minister Sunak cancelled their bilateral meeting at the 11th hour today.

"Greece and Britain have a very deep history of friendship and cooperation, and the Greek government is extremely surprised by this decision.

"The prime minister was looking forward to discussing a range of topics of mutual interest including the Israel-Gaza conflict, Russia's illegal invasion of Ukraine, climate change, as well as common challenges such as migration, and of course the Parthenon Sculptures."

A minister told Nick Ferrari on LBC this morning: “The PM set out the Government’s position quite clearly.

The Elgin Marbles were taken from the Parthenon
The Elgin Marbles were taken from the Parthenon. Picture: Getty

"They are owned by the British Museum and are part of their permanent collection," Transport Secretary Mark Harper said.

"We offered a meeting with the Deputy Prime minister to meet with the Prime Minister of Greece and that proved not to be possible.

"I’m sure the PM will have many future meetings with the Greek PM in the weeks and months to come."

The Elgin Marbles - also known as the Parthenon Marbles are 2,500-year-old sculptures that Lord Elgin took from Athens and sold to the British government in 1816.

Lord Elgin's venture has been debated for more than 200 years. Some say that the Marbles were not being properly looked after on the Parthenon, and they are safer in the British Museum.

The museum said Lord Elgin's actions "were thoroughly investigated by a Parliamentary Select Committee in 1816 and found to be entirely legal, prior to the sculptures entering the collection of the British Museum by Act of Parliament."

The 1963 British Museum Act forbids the museum from giving away items in its collection, apart from under limited conditions.

Mr Mitsotakis met the Labour leadership on Monday
Mr Mitsotakis met the Labour leadership on Monday. Picture: Getty

The Marbles formed a 520ft frieze that ran around the outer walls of the Parthenon.

Carved between 447-432 BC, the frieze and other sculptures remained largely intact until the temple was partially blown up during a siege in 1687. The Parthenon was being used as a gunpowder store at the time by a Turkish garrison.

Mr Mitsotakis said taking the Marbles from Athens was like cutting the Mona Lisa in half.

Greece formally requested the Marbles' return in the early 1980s. Calls for the artefacts' repatriation have become louder in subsequent decades.

A Greek official claimed earlier this year that their government had been in talks with the British Museum over the temporary return of the marbles.

The official said: "We are working on a broad and lengthy cultural agreement that would include an interchange and rotation of historical artefacts between Greece and the British Museum."

The museum said it has never received a loan request for the Marbles.

More Latest News

See more More Latest News

Police at the Biffa recycling plant in Hartlepool

Human remains found at recycling plant in Hartlepool as probe launched

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Police have urged parents to report their children to anti-terror programme Prevent if they are watching harmful content online

'Report your children to Prevent if they're watching misogynist videos online', police urge parents

Donald Trump signs an executive order imposing tariffs on imported goods

'Liberation Day' explained: What are Trump's tariffs and how will they impact the UK?

The blurry thieves stole £3,000 worth of cigarettes and vapes.

Police release CCTV after thieves steal £3,000 of vapes - but images leave the public calling for 'the ghostbusters'

Julie Goodyear

Julie Goodyear's husband shares rare photo of Coronation Street star two years on from dementia diagnosis

: An aerial view shows the scorched graveyard around a church following a large blaze the previous day, on July 20, 2022 in Wennington, Greater London

Londoners urged not to have barbecues this weekend amid soaring temperatures 'because of wildfire risk'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Mother and two children struck and killed by a vehicle in Brooklyn, New York: driver operating suspended license

Husband left 'utterly bereft' after Brit mum and two daughters killed in New York car crash

The Nintendo Switch 2 will release on June 5, 2025

Nintendo Switch 2: Exciting reveal, but why is it more expensive here?

BRITAIN-FUNERAL-POLICE

Funeral director charged with 64 offences including fraud, theft and preventing 30 lawful burials

swallow-tail

Brits urged to 'stop mowing lawns' amid 'national butterfly crisis' with more than half of species in decline

Kyle Kitchen, 38, murdered eight-week-old Primose Kane

Dad who murdered daughter by violently shaking her as baby is jailed for life

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Douglas Clifton Brown, 56, tried to kill his estranged wife

Old Etonian who tried to murder his estranged partner by throwing her down a 240ft well is jailed for 24 years