Dover migrant centre bomber 'was investigated over child sex offences and threatened to take own life'

1 November 2022, 09:15 | Updated: 1 November 2022, 15:38

The Dover migrant centre was targeted on Sunday
The Dover migrant centre was targeted on Sunday. Picture: Alamy/Social media

By Will Taylor

The petrol bomber who attacked a migrant centre in Dover was investigated over child sex offences and threatened to kill himself after being question by police, it has been claimed.

Listen to this article

Loading audio...

The unnamed 66-year-old who hurled the devices on Sunday shouted "all your children should be raped and killed" at coach drivers taking migrants to the facility, sources claimed.

And detectives are probing whether he has links to far-right terror groups.

Police were searching a property in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, on Monday – some 100 miles away from the Western Jet Foil processing centre.

The man hurled incendiary bombs at the facility around 11.20am on Sunday.

Two people inside were mildly injured but some 700 people were transferred for safety.

Read more: Suella Braverman 'refused hotel bookings for migrants because they were in Tory areas'

The petrol bombing caused a fire
The petrol bombing caused a fire. Picture: Social media

A Reuters photographer said a white man in a striped top hurled petrol bombs that had fireworks attached.

Sources told The Telegraph that he shouted "do you know what you're doing?" at coach drivers taking migrants there, then said: "All your children should be raped and killed."

He was found dead at a petrol station nearby after the attack. It is thought he killed himself.

Read more: 'Invasion of the South Coast': Braverman admits illegal migration is 'out of control' as she fights to keep her job

And it was claimed to the paper that he had been investigated over child sex offences. He threatened to take his own life when he was quizzed by officers, it was said.

Reports also suggest he scoped out the facility on Saturday night, ahead of his attack on Sunday morning.

He was spotted driving a white Seat Tarraco in the area.

Police examined a white Seat
Police examined a white Seat. Picture: Alamy

Kent Police, searching what is believed to be the man's home, said on Monday: "Kent Police officers investigating an incident at the immigration centre in Dover on Sunday 30 October 2022 are being assisted by colleagues from Thames Valley Police to carry out a warrant at a property in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, on Monday 31 October.

"Officers have confirmed that the suspect, found deceased at a nearby petrol station, is a 66-year-old man from the High Wycombe area."

The attack shocked the area at a time when tensions over migrant crossings are high.

An eyewitness said he saw the man laughing while he carried out the terrifying attack.

Gary Smith told The Sun: "I was walking over a nearby bridge and I could see him throwing the bombs. They were making loud bangs. I think he threw about four or five.

"He was just laughing while he was doing it. It was crazy."

Another witness told Kent Online: "I heard what I thought was cannons going off and thought it must have been an event.

"We paused the TV to hear. There were at least six or seven.

"To think it was actually explosions that we heard is just so upsetting. I really hope no one is hurt."

More Latest News

See more More Latest News

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

Full runners and riders confirmed for Saturday's Grand National

Grand National 2025 runners and riders confirmed as full 34-horse line-up revealed

Exclusive
Sophie Bannister and April-Levi Whalley have posted celebratory social media posts after dodging jail for drug smuggling

'Can't wait to enjoy our summer': Drug smuggling best friends celebrate after dodging jail over suitcases full of cannabis

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

Uriah Rennie is 'learning to walk again'.

Premier League's first black referee, Uriah Rennie, 'learning to walk again' after he was left paralysed

Two people died in the explosion in Newcastle

Man, 33, admits manslaughter and drugs charge after devastating house explosion in Newcastle left two dead

j

Glamorous drug smuggling friends found guilty of bringing cannabis to UK - after New York 'shopping trip'

Greenpeace activists scaled a building outside the Foreign Office

Greenpeace activists scale Foreign Office building over signing of ocean treaty

Spain celebrates winning the FIFA Women's World Cup 2023 in Australia

UK poised to host 2035 Women’s World Cup

Lucy Letby

Lawyer for killer nurse Lucy Letby to hand over 'fresh' evidence he hopes will clear her name

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

The millionaire businesswoman has called for an urgent safety review by TfL after the emergency Help Point failed in a central London station.

Millionaire businesswoman abandoned on Tube platform by staff after 'traumatising' assault

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Police at the Biffa recycling plant in Hartlepool

Human remains found at recycling plant in Hartlepool as probe launched

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'